MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems

2000 deVille DTS: a Service Engine Soon light and read the OBD-2

Customer Question

I have a 2000 deVille DTS with 4.6L NorthStar engine. I got a "Service Engine Soon" light and read the OBD-2 as P0335, crankshaft position sensor A. For someone with no special tools and not double-jointed, what is the procedure for replacing the crankshaft position sensors? I know where they are, but need best procedure. I have worked on cars since I was a kid, but not the "new age" designs, so need a fair amount of detail.
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

I intend on giving you the procedure and chart for that code, but I wanted to send you this first. If you get really lucky, it could just be a loose or dirty connection.

Intermittent Engine Idle Instability, Hard/No Restart or Decel Stalls, SES Lamp Illuminated, DTCs P0335, P0336, P0385, P0386 or P1599 may be Set (Diagnose and Repair) #02-06-04-019 - (Apr 9, 2002)

Intermittent Engine Idle Instability, Hard/No Restart or Decel Stalls, SES Lamp Illuminated, DTCs P0335, P0336, P0385, P0386 or P1599 May Be Set (Diagnose and Repair)

2000-2001 Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado, Seville

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

with 4.0L or 4.6L Engine (VINs C, Y, 9 -- RPOs L47, LD8, L37)

Condition

Some owners may comment on an intermittent engine idle speed stability concern, hard or no restart condition or a decel engine stall. This may also be accompanied by a Service Engine Soon light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the PCM may indicate one of the following DTC codes: P0335, P0336, P0385, P0386 or P1599.

Cause

The above conditions may be caused by multiple concerns with the crank sensor or the PCM.

Correction

If the vehicle has any of the crank sensor codes P0335, P0336, P0385, or P0386 set, then the following should be done:

• Inspect both of the crank sensor terminals for signs of poor connection or corrosion of both crank sensors. Pin drag test all four terminals.
  • Inspect the crank sensor circuit wires for signs of damage.
  • Inspect the crank sensor circuits at the PCM for poor connections. The crank sensor terminals should also be drag tested.
  • Remove the crank sensors and check for any debris on the sensor.
  • Verify crank sensor location (A on the bottom and B on the top) and verify that the sensor circuit wires are in the correct cavities.
  • Inspect the date code on the sensor. If it is before 0276, replace the crank shaft sensor and perform case learn.
  • If the date code is past 0276, verify the PCM grounds. A voltage drop test should be less than 20 mV.
  • If the PCM ground circuit verification is acceptable, then follow published PCM diagnostics.

If the vehicle has an idle or decel stall, or near stall concern and only has DTC P1599 set, then the following should be done:

• Verify the system power and ground connections for the PCM.
  • Verify crank sensor location (A on the bottom and B on the top) and verify that the sensor circuit wires are in the correct cavities in the harness.
  • Verify that the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking fuel past the diaphragm.
  • Perform the injector balance drop test and verify even pressure drops on all injectors.
  • Inspect and clean the EGR passages, as necessary.
  • Inspect and clean the IAC passages, as necessary.

I will be right back with that debug chart for the code, and the procedure for getting to the sensor(s).

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

I have good news and bad news.
Good news - the sensor is relatively easy to replace, and the procedure is below.
Bad new - there is a "relearn" procedure that requires a class 2 scan tool (like the dealership uses) to do the job.

Here is the test chart for that code and the schematic that goes along with it in a readable size. The chart is a PDF file that you should be able to view on your computer and print.

P0335 Chart

graphic

Here is the location of the sensors.

graphic

Here is the procedure to replace the sensor, and the relearn procedure (both PDF files).

Replace Crank Sensor

Relearn Procedure

One other tip: You do not have to go to a Cadillac dealer to have the work done. Any GM dealership (like Chevy, Pontiac, or Olds) should be able to do the work, and even some independent shops that have the right scan tool that will do the relearn procedure.

I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: 25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MCVGreg's Post: Greg,

Thanks for the troubleshooting information. Since I can't really test most of these things until I can remove the sensors, I will wait for your information on how that's done.
I'll try these tests before I commit to buying new sensors.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

As you look through the procedures (above) you will notice that many of them require the use of a class 2 scan tool, so you might have to take it to someone to look at it.

But before you do that, do a visual inspection of the sensors, connectors, and wiring to see if you can see anything obvious.

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MCVGreg's Post: Problem is, I can't see any way to get to the required connectors/bolts directly. The main obstacle is the oil pressure sensor switch. Do I need to remove it to get to the sensors? If so, how? The electrical connector seems obscured behind the engine mount.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Let me check and see if I can get more details. Sometimes the documents do not show everything that needs to be done, and I haven't had my hands on one of these in a while, so it is hard to remember.

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

After checking my other sources, I did not see any other instructions, but I do have some requests out to a couple of other experts, just in case they have worked on one of these recently.

Thanks

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for getting back to you so late.

One of the other experts said that you MAY have to remove the oil pressure sensor, but you may be able to just remove the electrical connector and get enough clearance to get to the bolt for the crank sensor.

Here is the procedure for replacing the oil pressure sensor.

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

graphic
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the oil pressure switch (1).
  3. Remove the oil pressure Switch (1) from the oil filter adapter (3).

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the oil pressure switch (1) to the oil filter adapter (3). Tighten

Tighten the oil pressure switch to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).

2. Connect the electrical connector (2) to the oil pressure switch (1).
  3. Lower the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Greg,

Don't worry about response time - I wouldn't be able to get to work on it until tomorrow, anyway. Thanks for your help. I think I have all the drawings, charts and narrative I could hope for. The main problem is interference from engine mounts, frame components, etc. I should be able to work around that stuff with the information you supplied. If not, I'll just take it to a mechanic, since I'd have to anyway for the CASE LEARN procedure.
Thanks for the information and have a good day.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again. Thank you for the accept.

Yes, these motors (and most cars today) are known for their "confined spaces" when trying to work on them.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Take Care, Greg A.