Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

1997 Lincoln Town Car: acceleration..misfire..fuel tank..emissions

Customer Question

1997 Lincoln Town Car--misses at light acceleration, plenty of power under med-hvy accel. Code for misfire #1 cylinder--sparkplug was gapped too wide (don''t know how to clear codes ?). And, know the sensor on top of fuel tank is broken off (I believe this is emissions control of some sort ?). Any relationship between this sensor and the miss, or other ideas ? The miss is pretty rough, feels like more than one cylinder. The car had set for a year, replaced fuel pump and filter to get to run, drained old gas out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
if you unplug cylinder #1 injector plug ..does it make any difference in running condition ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will try tonight.

The impact of sensor of on top of fuel tank is of great interest--what this does, what it will affect.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
let me know the outcome
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Kevin, severe storms here tonight, no opportunity to check. I will try tomorrow evening, unfortunately it may be Friday. Sorry for the delay.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
no problem ..i'm not going anywhere
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Unplugging #1 injector-no change in engine running.

Swapping #1 injector with another injector (which does affect engine when unplugged), the #1 cylinder still is not affected by unplugging injector. In other words, the injectors seem ok.

And, pulling plug wire off #1 plug, it is definitely firing.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
one more thing. . . there is a control on the fuel rail directly over the #1 injector. I have assumed that is tied into the fuel system as a whole, not specific to the #1 injector. What is this, and is there any possibility it would only affect the #1 injector ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
pressure regulator...can cause problems but not the first thing to look at right now