MikeD'
MikeD', Technician
Experience:  ASE Cert, AS Degree in Automotive Diagnostics
10327015

How to change out the rack -n pinion on a 2002 ...

How to change out the rack -n pinion on a 2002 Olds Intrigue?
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeD' replied 6 years ago.
  • Remove or disconnect the following: CAUTION Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft may result in damage to the steering gear. This damage may cause a loss of steering control and may cause personal injury. NOTE Set the steering shaft so that the block tooth on the upper steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position. The wheels should be straight ahead. Set the ignition key lock to the LOCK position. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the SIR coil assembly.
    • Negative battery cable
    • Front wheels
  • Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Intermediate steering shaft lower pinch bolt from the steering gear stub shaft
    • Intermediate steering shaft
    • Both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles
  • Support the frame at the center rear. NOTE DO NOT lower the frame too far. Engine components near the firewall may be damaged.
  • Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Frame bolts from the rear of the frame. Lower the frame slightly
    • Power steering pressure line from the steering gear
    • Power steering return hose
    • Magnasteer Variable Assist electrical connector from the power steering gear assembly, if equipped
    • Steering gear mounting bolts
    • Power steering gear through the left wheel opening Click image to see an enlarged viewCommon rack and pinion steering gear mounting
  • To install:

1. Install or connect the following:
      • Power steering gear through the left wheel opening
      • Mounting bolts and torque them to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm)
      • Magnasteer Variable Assist electrical connector to the power steering gear assembly, if equipped
      • Power steering lines with new O-rings to the steering gear. Torque the fasteners to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
      • Power steering return hose
    2. Raise the rear frame to its original position.
    3. Install or connect the following:
      • New rear frame bolts and torque them to 133 ft. lbs. (180 Nm) on all models except Impala and Monte Carlo models. On Impala and Monte Carlo models, align the frame to the body by inserting two 19 x 203 mm (0.74 x 8.0 in) pins in the alignment holes on the right side of the frame. Tighten the front bolts to 118 ft. lbs. (160 Nm) and the rear bolts to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm)
      • Tie rod ends to the steering knuckles and torque the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)
      • Intermediate steering shaft to the steering gear stub shaft and torque the lower pinch bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm)
      • Front wheels
      • Negative battery cable
    4. Fill and bleed the power steering system.
    5. Start the vehicle and check for leaks, repair if necessary.
    6. Check the front end alignment and adjust as needed.
    MikeD', Technician
    Experience: ASE Cert, AS Degree in Automotive Diagnostics