Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Spirit: power seat..what power window motors will work in the doors

Customer Question

I am restoring a 1982 Silver Spirit, and the gearboxes for the power seats have disintegrated. Is there another power seat system that I can find in a junkyard that will power the flexible drieshafts that still appear to be operable? Also, what power window motors will work in the doors of this car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 8 years ago.

There are no motors that will retrofit that I am aware of. You might get lucky and find some at a dealer. I would ask the parts department who has the best assortment of NOS (new old stock) parts. If that doesn't work the best online source is XXXXX XXXXXdler. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hamman's Post: I didn't want an answer that says basically "I don't know....go talk to XXXXX XXXXXdler". I found Tony's website the day afteer I got the car, but he never responds to emails. In another 5 or 10 years, very few parts will be available for these cars (the seat gearboxes are no longer made), so we will have to get very creative to keep them running. Surely, some sort of motor system could be rigged up to drive those driveshafts, and that is what I am seeking to do. Keeping the car in absolutely original condition is not my goal. Mechanics in Cuba keep their old Harleys running using Soviet tractor parts. I applaud their ingenuity.
I will opt out and see if some one else can help you out on this, good luck.