Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician-10 yrs., Service Writer-Foreign, Domestic & Fleet, Alternative Fuel Expert

1994 Buick Century whirring noise on acceleration

No Comment Added

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Can you discribe a little more about the noise and where it seems to be coming from

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I is coming from the motor area and only whirrs during acceleration. The car runs and shifts well just noisy. No change in steering. SOunds ike a meduim pitched whine When car is going 60 it is not as noticeable.

So there is no noise at all when idling, and it goes away about 60mph. If you step on the gas while idling-does the noise occur?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it idles a little loud but there is no whirring until you step on the gas
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know if it goes away completely at 60 or if you just don't hear it as clearly.

So when you step on the gas even idling the whirring noise happens. I'm just trying to verify if has anything to do with actual movement of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Only when you step on the gas. If it is just sitting idling no it does not make the whirring noise
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the noise does not seem to be related to moving more to do with reving the engine

The whirring noise could be coming from a few places. One is from the pulley/belt drive system. A tensioner or pulley going bad, or a noisy AC compressor could all make a whirring noise that would not really be hear at idle, only when a load is placed on the engine. A power steering pump could also make this noise but a power steering noise will ususally change with steering so I dont think that is it.

The other possibility is that it is coming from the transaxle assembly. It could be a fluid pressure, solenoid, valve or torque converter problem. The symptoms are correct for this also-it happens when load is put on the motor, and after 60mph, during torque converter lockup and when the car is cruising the sound is less noticable.

The first thing for you to do is try to determine the source of the noise-pulley or trans. You can also do a visual inspection of the belt/pulley system to see if any problems or vibrations etc are evident. You should also check the transmission fluid and condition, check power steering fluid, and take notice if the AC being on or off makes any difference. Listen with the hood open and see if you can tell what direction it starts in.

Let me know what you see or find out. Then we can go on from there.

Hope this helps, Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

If this helps you please click ACCEPT and leave feedback.