Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Replace the ignition lock on a 1988 buick lesabre, we lost the keys.

Customer Question

i need to replace the ignition lock on a 1988 buick lesabre, we lost the keys.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there!Hope this helps!Thanks

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

If the vehicle is not equipped with an air bag, skip Step 1 and simply disconnect the negative battery cable. Also, disregard all instructions below related to air bags.

1. If equipped, disable the SIR system, as outlined in of this repair guide.
  2. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the turn signal switch assembly.
  4. Remove the key from the lock cylinder. Remove the buzzer switch and clip.
  5. Reinsert the key into the lock cylinder and turn it to the LOCK position.
  6. Remove the cylinder lock-to-steering column screw, then remove the lock set.
  7. If equipped, detach the pass key connector.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Removing the ignition lock cylinderTo install:

1. Install the lock cylinder, attach the pass key connector (if equipped), then tighten the lock-to-steering column screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
  2. Position the key in the RUN position and reverse the removal procedures.
  3. Install the turn signal switch.
  4. If equipped with the SIR system, properly enable the system, as outlined in of this section.
  5. If not already done, connect the negative battery cable, then check the turn signals for proper operation.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the car has tilt steering,
Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Here is some info to get the wheel off.The tilt won't matter because it's behind the area you are going to be working in.Thanks

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CAUTION Some vehicles are equipped with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SIR components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SIR system, as described in . Failure to follow safety and disabling procedures could result in accidental air bag deployment, unnecessary SIR system repairs, and above all, possible personal injury.Vehicles Without SIR

See Figures 1 through 9

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. For vehicles equipped with a standard steering wheel, perform the following:
    1. Remove the screws holding the steering pad.
    2. Remove the steering pad and disconnect the horn lead.
  3. For vehicles equipped with a steering wheel control pad, perform the following.
    1. Use a thin, flat-bladed tool to pry the control button assembly out, along the top edge of the assembly.
    2. Pry out the horn control pads.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Carefully pry out the steering wheel control pad and horn pads

1. Disconnect the horn lead by pushing down on it, then twisting it out of the cam tower.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Push down on the horn lead, twist it out of the cam tower, then disconnect it from the steering wheel

1. Detach the steering wheel control connector.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Slide a suitable tool down to unlatch the electrical connector retaining tab ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: ... then unplug the connector. Note the location of the tab

1. If necessary, unfasten the Torx® screw and remove the remaining wire from the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: You must use a Torx® driver to unfasten the screw retaining the wire

1. Use a pair of snapring pliers to remove the retainer.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Use a suitable pair of pliers to remove the retaining circlip

1. Unfasten the steering wheel retaining nut.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Use a ratchet and extension combination to unfasten the steering wheel retaining nut

1. Matchmark the steering shaft and steering wheel to ensure proper alignment during installation.
  2. Install an approved steering wheel puller, then remove the steering wheel from the shaft.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Assemble a suitable steering wheel puller on the steering wheel, then turn the puller's threaded rod ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: ... to press and remove the steering wheel from the shaftTo install:

1. Install the steering wheel, aligning it with the mark made on the shaft during removal. Install the steering shaft retaining nut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
  2. Install the retaining clip with a pair of snapring pliers.
  3. Connect the horn lead and install the steering pad, using the reverse of the removal procedure.
  4. If necessary, install the screws holding the steering pad.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Vehicles With SIR

See Figures 10 and 11

1. Properly disable the SIR system, as outlined in of this repair guide.

CAUTION When carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover and pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. In addition, when placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the chance of personal injury if it is accidentally deployed.

1. Remove the SIR inflator module by performing the following steps:
    1. Unfasten the 2 inflator module attaching screws from the back of the steering wheel.
    2. Carefully lift the inflator module from the steering wheel to access the wire connectors.
    3. Push down and rotate the horn contact lead counterclockwise, and remove from the steering column tower.
    4. Remove the horn contact lead.
    5. Remove the CPA retaining clip from the SIR wiring connector. Detach the SIR wiring connector from the inflator module.
    6. If equipped, detach the steering wheel control switch connector.
    7. Remove the inflator module from the vehicle and position on a suitable workbench.
  2. Remove the steering wheel locknut.
  3. Matchmark the steering shaft and steering wheel to ensure proper alignment during installation.
  4. Install tools J 1859-03 and J 38720, or other suitable puller and side screws to the steering wheel, then remove the steering wheel from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Install a suitable puller, then remove the steering wheel from the shaft Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: Exploded view of the steering wheel and SIR inflator module mountingTo install:

1. Feed the wiring through the slot in the steering wheel.
  2. Position the steering wheel on the shaft, aligning the mark on the steering wheel with the mark on the shaft.
  3. Install the steering wheel locknut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
  4. Install the SIR inflator module by performing the following steps:
    1. If equipped, attach the steering wheel control switch connector.
    2. Install the CPA retainer to the SIR wiring connector.
    3. Feed the horn contact lead to the steering column horn tower; push the lead into the horn tower and rotate it clockwise to the locked position.
    4. Connect the horn ground lead.
    5. Attach the SIR connector and CPA.
    6. Position the inflator module to the steering wheel. Install the top surface of the module first to ease assembly and fit. Ensure that the inflator module is properly aligned with the steering wheel and that the wires behind the module are not pinched during installation.
    7. Install the inflator module attaching screws through the back of the steering wheel. Tighten the screws to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
  5. Properly enable the SIR system, as outlined in of this repair guide.
  6. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information, but the drawing does not look like the one I have. My tilt portion is before the ignition switch. I have the steering wheel off but there is a part of the tilt wheel assembly that has to come off to get to the ignition.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

ok I will opt out and see if another expert can help.Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If you have the steering wheel off you are probably looking at the lock plate.You will need a lock plate depresser to remove this part.It screws onto the steering shaft & depresses the plate(spring loaded) just enough to get access to the snap ring in the center.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Mine does not have a lock plate, I took the turn signal assembly off and what I am looking at is the stub the steering wheel bolts to, the tilt stub is mounted in a bearing which is mounted in a plate about 4" square. When you tilt the wheel this whole plate moves. I need to get this plate off to get to the ignition.Thanks
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Can you send me a picture on "you tube".I am not exactly what part you are refering to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry no camera.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it helps at the bottom right corner of the square plate is a round hole with a spring that tilts the plate.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I will back out & letCustomerhelp you.Have a nice day.