Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

It seems as if your question about your fuel pump is not complete, is there more information you can provide?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are looking for advice on the best way to lower the gas tank safely to get to the fuel pump. That is why the comments about getting an
remaining fuel out of the tank thru the pump hoses.   Do we need to disconnect anything before lowering the tank?    How much does a 20 gal tank weigh?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Below is the procedures for dropping the tank, not to sure on the weight the more fuel the heavier it will be. The procedures do state any fuel should be siphoned out.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, open the fuel tank filler door and disconnect the sending unit feed wire. Release the fuel pressure.
  2. Siphon the fuel from the fuel tank. If the rear of the car is raised one foot higher than the front, more fuel can be taken out.
  3. Raise the rear of the car and remove the screw securing the ground wire to the cross member.
  4. Disconnect the fuel line, evaporative emission lines and the fuel return lines at the front of the tank.
  5. Support the tank with a jack and wooden block and remove one screw on each side securing the fuel tank support straps to the body at the front of the tank.
  6. Lower the jack and tank enough so that the fuel pump electrical lead can be disconnected. Disconnect the wire.
  7. Remove the fuel tank from the car.
  8. Remove the locknuts securing the fuel gauge tank unit and fuel pump feed wires to the tank unit.
  9. Turn the cam locking ring counterclockwise with a soft non-ferrous punch and hammer. When the lock ring is disengaged, remove it and lift the gauge/pump unit from the tank.
  10. Install in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the fuel tank retaining strap screws to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to gmplus's Post: Are there any diagrams available to show the location of the wires and hoses that should be disconnected?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

I will see what I can come up with for you, this may take a little bit of time..

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, please email response [email protected] I have to sign off now, will check later
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

This is the best I can find for this year car. IF you zoom in you will be able to see everything better. There was allot of research involved in this and the pages came out a little dark. You can view this by clicking HERE.. Hope this helps.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for looking this up, did you notice it was
on a 1995, not a 1985 year ?   Maybe it was not available on the older model.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

I do see that, sorry about that I will look again and see if anything is available.

Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Well I did find some information on a 1985.