MIKEVIN_BEGGS, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  General Motors, Ford, & Mitsubishi Certified technician.

Girlfriend and I purchased a car together early in our relationship

Customer Question

My now ex-girlfriend and I purchased a car together early in our relationship. She has possession of the car but is not making payments. How can I obtain possession so that I can either make the payments and have the car or sell the car?
Category: Car
Expert:  MIKEVIN_BEGGS replied 8 years ago.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

The first thing I would do is contact a lawyer. Do not be bashful about this, because YOU WILL SUFFER. I am not kidding here.

The lawyer will advise you (I would have the lawyer do this, just pay the freight) to contact the finance company or whom ever holds the loan & get things going with them. They will want their money.

I would also contact the local police & see if there are any laws in your area that might help you here.

Take care of yourself here brother. I mean it.

I paid a hefty price by being the nice guy many years ago, & I am still paying for it.

I'll give you a brief:

I was living in los angeles & thought I was in love. I helped a girlfriend (co-signed a loan) buy a car. She went out with the girls one night, got drunk & crashed the car. They left it where they crashed it with the open bottles in the car.

Guess who got arrested, slapped with drunk driving charges, property damage charges, & payment for the car. Did I mention I got fired from my job because I lost my license.

It took me 3 months to find this peach & 2 years with an attorney & thank 7-11 a video tape of these women crashing & leaving the scene.

Best of luck brother. CALL AN ATTORNEY