Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

What tpe of motor oil do you recemmend for a 1971 VW type ...

Customer Question

What tpe of motor oil do you recemmend for a 1971 VW type III Squareback(H4 1.6L 1584cc )?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to use a good brand, (I personally prefer Penzoil) that meets reqirements for an API motor oil. (that would be any brand)

Being that the warmer whether is coming up, it is recommecded that use use a weight of 10W40. However, there is a product for high milage vehicles that is available from many of the major oil companies.

I have had a few VWs back in my youth, (lol) and I always used regular non-detergent motor oils in them and the result was many years of faithful service.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE USE OF A GOOD SYNTHETIC OIL DESIGNED FOR OLDER VEHICLES, SUCH AS AMSOIL' AMO 10W-40? http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Synthetic motor oils are good if that is what has been used since the original break in period of the engine. I have personally never used any in my VWs and I have not seen any significant differences in the people that I know that have. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, and may be worth the efforts, as it meets all of the standards that a crude oil does.

That may be a matter of opinion when it comes to synthetics.