automstr
automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech
8300270

1995 honda: 4cyl..abs..the system will fail and the pedal will go

i have a 1995 honda odyssey minivan 4cyl. I am told i need an new abs modulator because if it fails i will either A.still have the use of the braking system without abs or,B. the system will fail and the pedal will go to the floor and there will be no brake pressure. Question: would a manufacturer actually make a braking system with the possibility of complete failure if the abs system alone is at fault ? I went for 5 years without abs on my 93 ford van without problems. Brakes are obviously a safety issue, the possibility of failure is not an option while driving so i want to know whether i need to replace the abs modulator ($1200.00)or i can still use the braking system without replacing it without worry about failure. I sure appreciate your expert advice.
Category: Car
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. ounce the abs light comes on the system goes into failsafe mode essentially shutting down only the abs system .the regular braking system is not affected it is not going to cause normal brake system to fail. however you will not have the safety advantage of antilock brakes . being an suv antilock braking is an important safety feature. If there is anything else I can do for you let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does this mean that the pump noise that i hear or that the mechanic says is making the noise will not cause brake failure if it malfunctions? he says the noise is the pump trying to repressurise the system i believe and that a valve may stick open causing loss of all brake pressure if it is not replaced.origianlly there was no noise like this on start up, then it became an occasional noise, then it makes the noise at every start up, then at every startup and occasionally at idle. so it seems as if it is coming on progressively more. I really appreciate your expert advice sir. Besides no ABS braking what will be the effects of not replacing the abs modulator? I think you have already answered my question but just want to be sure i understand correctly that if I do not replace the abs modulator unit at this point that i can still drive safely with an operable braking system albeit without ABS. again many thanks for your expert advice, i really appreciate it.
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.
the pump running is part of the abs modulator failure it has an internal problem it wont effect the regular brake system.You can remove the relay for the pump if you want to stop the noise otherwise the pump will run a while then the amber abs light will come on and the pump will stop.