Auto Chill
Auto Chill, Mechanic
Experience:  automotive aircon repairer,car audio,car alarms,cruise controls,

2002 Kia Spectra: batery charge..I drove the car..completly..20 Miles

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Kia Spectra and the alterator went out a couple of weeks ago on my way to work. After work I was hoping to make it home on the batery charge, but that did not happen. I drove the car until the battery was completly dead (22 Miles) and had another brought to me for the remainder of the comute home(20 Miles). I chanfed to alternator and everything was going well untill the car would not go over 40 miles per hour and would loose power when driving up a hill. I then changed the spark plugs(old ones were fouled out) installed a new fuel filter and checked the air filter which was recently replaced. The car ran like new again for the first 100 miles until the samething happen again while I was driving. I proceeded home(15 miles) stuggling to make it up hills. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Chris
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Chill replied 8 years ago.
Hi , welcom to justanswer .have you put a volt meter on your battery to test the alt voltage output
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, but I will if neede. Do you think it could be the new alternator even though the electronics are not effected when power loss happens?

I have seen new alternators , starter motors fail . It sounds like your alternator may not be charging fully . start your engine and turn on your headlights . you would like to see 13-14 volts. also check that the belt is firm. you would be surprised that a loose belt can cause poor charging.

most electronics can run at 10 or so volts. your coils will not be happy about this so they start to breakdown.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Auto Chill's Post: Will a alternator fluctuate on voltage as this one may be doing?
Yes you will , but not much. at a constant rpm you would not like to see more than half a volt change.