John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

2001 Pontiac Montana: sits from 20 minutes

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana (base model, automatic trans.) The damn thing will intermittently refuse to start after shutting the engine off-it''ll crank fine but won''t turn over until it sits from 20 minutes to as much as 2 hours. It seems to happen when I''ve made 2 or 3 stops doing errands. No apparent link to outside air temperature or how much gas is in the tank. No warning lights come on either, so the code reader we have is useless. Any insight you have would help. My guess is the fuel pump, but I don''t want to buy a new one & find out it''s something else!
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hello cali sungirl,

The place to start is with a fuel pressure gage,installed at the engine on the fuel rail.The pressure at the engine should be 52-59 psi.with key turned on a couple of times /10 seconds in between.You could have a no spark situation,in this case you would need a spark tester to install in one of the plug wires & grounded.If you have a no spark problem you are looking at a crankshaft sensor,ignition module,or wiring connector -intermitten open.