Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651

1998 Saturn: I start the car it has a strong start but it wont turn

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Saturn, when I start the car it has a strong start but it wont turn over. It''s like the gas is not getting through.
Category: Car
Expert:  Brad replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

It's possible the your fuel pump has failed, but first you need to verify that you have a fuel problem here, as you might also have an ignition or sensor problem as well.

You can install a fuel pressure test gauge into the fuel line, and you can install a spark tester onto one of the spark plug wires to verify what is going on here. You might also need to install a noid light onto the injectors to make sure they are getting the proper signals from the computer.

If you have no pressure, then I would say most likely the pump is bad. (You'll need to test the voltage at the fuel pump connector to make sure the electrical side of things is ok). Replacing this pump requires removal of the fuel tank, so it's not exactly an easy repair.

If you don't have access to, or the expertise in using this diagnostic equipment, then I highly recommend having a professional diagnose and repair your car, otherwise it's all guess work that may cost you more in the long run.

Good luck!