Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

1997 pontiac grand prix: Key fob..Changed battery..manual states

Customer Question

1997 pontiac grand prix GTP. Key fob is not working. Changed battery and did the resync as manual states. It appears someone had a remote start on the car and removed it. my feeling is there is a module missing from under the passenger side of the dash. my question is where is the reviever for the key fob in the car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.
That receiver is located directly behind the drivers information center on the left side of the dash.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what would cause the key fob not to respond? I have changed the battery and tried to resync it but nothing happens, still same as when I began, no response. Where should I start looking then?
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.
I would start at that receiver to see if there is power on the orange wire and be sure there is ground on the black wire from there it would be difficult without a scan tool to tell you if the receiver is receiving the signal because the problem could be the key fob is no good. This could be very difficult to figure out because of the remote starting system could also be causing the problem.