importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years experience

1989 toyota camry: mechanic

Customer Question

i have a 1989 toyota camy, for at least 8 months it had a hard time starting up on occasions, i had a rebuilt starter now a new starter, the alternator is relatively new. my mechanic could never find the problem because it always started. he put a new distributor it was leaking oil. so the not starting after i drive somewhere is happening more frequently but after a while an hour or so it starts up fine. so he felt he knew the issue fixed my connections to the battery and it has not changed the problem. he thinks it needs a relay switch to the charger. can you assist? is it the timing belt
Category: Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 8 years ago.
Give me some more information on the condition. Does it turn over but not start or does it not crank at all? Does the vehicle make a click noise or any other noises while the condition occurs? Also please clarify your mileage and engine size.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok, thank you for clarification. First a timing belt will not casue this to answer your question, if the timing belt broke or jumped it would never start. Do note that this belt is due every 60,000 miles though. One thing to check, when you turn the key to the on position and vehicle does not crank does the radio/interior lights/instrument cluster power off as designed indicating ignition switch is engaging start position? If so a basic electrical check will be needed here, need to check power to signal wire at the starter selonoid on the starter, also check for proper power at starter from battery cable. It sounds like you either have a loose connection or a starter selonoid issue here. Has the batttery been tested, all terminal connections checked at battery and starter checked?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Peter's Post: thank you very much. i think the problem was resolved and it sounds like what you said. the last solution was the relay he called it to the starter, like there was a delay in the connection because i have practically everything is new. so thank you very much for your assistance i was at my wits end when i wrote and wanted to see if this legitimate and it truly was. so thanks again and have a great weekend