Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

2008 Kia Sportage: Yellow engine light came..Book says..emissions

2008 Kia Sportage with 900 miles. Yellow engine light came on in display. Book says this has to do with emissions and car is drivable but see Kia dealer. What is this about and can I deal with it without dealer?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for CHoosing Just Answer.

First thing double check the gas cap, make sure it is not loose, if it is loose you will need to drive around for awhile for the light to go off. There could be many, many reasons why the light went off. The best way to tell what is going on is to ask your vehicles computer what it is having a problem with, this will require a scan tool to pull codes. Once a code is found it will give you or the technician an idea of what is going on. Some Auto Zone's will pull codes for you at no charge, this being a new vehicle with only 900 miles I would take it to the dealer because any repairs or costs to you should be covered under warranty.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!