Auto Chill
Auto Chill, Mechanic
Experience:  automotive aircon repairer,car audio,car alarms,cruise controls,

2001 Vitara: 000 dies during idling and..sputtering

I have a 2001 Vitara w/ about 125,000 miles. After driving 30 or so minutes, it dies during idling and will not start again for about 15 min. When it finally does start, there is a lot of sputtering and back-fire. A mechanic replaced the fuel pump and did a tuneup. It continued with the same problem..another mechanic replaced the fan motor...still same problem...any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Chill replied 8 years ago.

Hi , you say that it dies during idle after driving 30 mins or so . If you keep driving for hours, will it stop or will it only stop as soon as you come back to idle. Just tring to get abit more of an idea on your problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I dont recall it ever just stopping while I am driving, so I will have to say it only stops when I go to idle, (stop light, driveup teller @ bank, etc)most of my driving is in-town, alot of idling with stop lights, etc

Ok , i have no idea why someone would change a fan motor to try and sovle this problem, not unless your car was overheating. It sounds more like and ignition module or ignition coil problem. They do have a habbit of playing up when they get hot and work well again once left to cool down.

you sould take your car to repair shop and have them test these parts. make sure you explain to them your problem in detail.

please click on accept or email me if i can help you anymore.

thankyou for choosing justanswer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I will pass this on
Thanks so much for the answer