Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
9480930

How do you remove the center console to access the ...

How do you remove the center console to access the Temperature Control Panel in a 2000 Buick Regal? I have removed the Dash Trim and was able to pull the top part off but the bottom seems to be stuck to something.I removed 2 screws behind the ashtray assembly and also 2 bolts. I''m not sure if they were the right ones to remove. The center console seems secured to the stick shift assembly. Any screws seem to be inaccessable.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer,

Object Number: 326129  Size: SH

• Remove the front floor console trim plate starting at the front and working back, pulling the front floor console trim plate upward in order to release the tabs from the retainers.
  • Front Floor Console Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
    2. Apply the parking brake.
    3. Position the transaxle shift lever to the LOW position.
    4. Remove the front floor console trim plate. Object Number: 326131  Size: SH

5. Remove the rubber mat from the storage compartment in the front floor console.
      Object Number: 326124  Size: SH

6. Remove the bolts from the storage compartment area of the front floor console.
    7. Remove the bolts from the front floor console mounting bracket at the rear of the transaxle shift lever.
      Object Number: 326126  Size: SH

8. Remove the bolts from the LH and RH front sides of the front floor console.
    9. Remove the front floor console power accessory port.
    10. Remove the front floor console cigrette lighter. Object Number: 326133  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the wiring harness from the front floor console.
      Object Number: 689957  Size: SH

12. Pull the front floor console rearward in order to release the retainers from the instrument panel.
      Object Number: 689951  Size: SH

13. Depress the front edge of the shifter trim plate in order to pull back the front floor console for removal.
    14. Remove front floor console from the vehicle.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to Scott K's Post: I am just trying to get the trim around the AC Control panel removed. Do you really need to take off the entire shifter trim to do this? If I put my finger in the back behind the trim, I can feel what seems to be a phillips screw(both sides)but you can't get to it. There is also 2 philips screws shown when you peel back the the trim around the shifter.(Once again cant get to it) Are these screws not meant to be removed? Is all this really meant to be taken off in one piece? The floor trim and the trim around the ac control panel?
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

In order to remove the A/C controller, The floor console would need to come out.

If you are trying to remove the trim plate only

Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left instrument panel insulator.
    2. Remove the steering column opening filler. Object Number: 326098  Size: SH

3. Remove the screws from the bottom of the instrument panel (IP) accessory trim plate.
    4. Pull the IP accessory trim plate rearward in order to release the retaining clips.
    5. Rotate the IP accessory trim plate rearward and up in order to release the 2 tabs at the top edge.
    6. Disconnect the ash tray harness electrical connector from the IP harness.
    7. Remove the IP accessory trim plate from the instrument panel.

Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement

Object Number: 326114  Size: SH

Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
    Experience: 20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to Scott K's Post: Ok, so I just want to make sure I understand this right. The gray molding/trim/housing(whatever it is called) can only be removed if the floor panel(molding trim that holds the shifter and storage compartment) is removed along with it? Once all the bolts and screws and wires are disconnected from it, then you can pull the whole thing foward in one piece?
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Yes that Trim is part of the floor console assembly. The floor console will need to be removed to remove that trim piece.