automstr
automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech
8300270

what does secondary air injesction system malfunktion mean

Category: Car
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. the secondary air injection is used to introduce air into the exhaust after the engine to heat up the catalytic converter faster on cold starts . It dosen't effect how the car runs but will turn the check engine light on .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what will repair the problem,of the secondary air flow malfunction
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.
You will have to test the system and see what part isn't working usually its a check valve or maybe a air pump .what kind of car and what year and engine do you have if you tell me I can send the test info. some are easier than others to track down .Do you know the exact code the computer has?.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have a 2004 gmc envoy
i had the test done at a advance auto part store. all they told me was it s code was that the secondary air flow rejection malfuntion. the check engine light will come on for a day or so and it may go off its done this about 4 times. and i would like to know what the code means and what needs to be done to fix it. the light seems to come on in the morning. if it goes off and comes back on
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.
Ok well that means that you are not getting the cat warmed up fast enough for the computer here's the test procedure in pdf form click here . It's not a just replace this part type of repair so you will need to do these tests to see whats going on with the system.