Rob
Rob, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  GM World Class Technician, Senior Master Subaru Technician, 18 years experience
9687792

have a 87 pontiac firebird. none of the lights inside work

have a 87 pontiac firebird. none of the lights inside work other than the brake light and service engine light on the dash. only the turn signals work. is it the computer? i checked the fuses
its as if there is no power to the inside of the car. I opened the panel under the steering wheel and followed all the wires i could find, everything looked ok. the only lights on the dash as far as i know are the "service engine" light and the "brake" light. I havent seen any others come on. the dimmer dosent do anything the dome light dosent come on. the head lights wont flip on or come on as if its a fuse but the only fuses i can find are under the steering wheel. HELP! i looked for those breaker wires and the little black boxes but they all seem to be working
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.

Hi delroy and welcome to Just Answer!

Ok let start here and work through this. You say none of the lights work inside? Does this mean the dome light and foot well lights that come on when you open the door? If so here is the wiring diagram. Or are you talking about the parking/head lights that light up the dashand turn on the exterior parking and headlight? Or both? There are several different options for this car so I have a few question. Does it have a digital dash or not, Two or four headlamps, Fog lights or not, a lamp monitoring system, I think this covers it.

graphic

Rob, ASE Master Technician
Experience: GM World Class Technician, Senior Master Subaru Technician, 18 years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for the wiring diagram but i have no idea what i'm looking at. no fog lights only 2 flip up lights. the turn signals work. the fuse panel under the steering wheel has power but nothing comes on in the car other than the 2 lights on the dash brake light and service engine light. not a digital dash it has gauges
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Alright, I will give you couple of hints on what to check you check it and we will get this figured out. You have two fuses in the fuse box under the steering wheel, one is the tail fuse (20 amp) that should have power on both legs of the fuse all the time (need to check these with a test light) and there will be one that has power on both legs when you turn the headlamp switch on. Check this and let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no power on tail, or headlamp
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.

Ok I know this next thing is going look over whelming but here it is. In this diagram if you follow from the tail fuse and go towards the top of the schematic yuo will see the tail fuse is powered by fusible link "A" in the upper left of the schematic. All fusible links are on the starter solenoid. You will have to get under the car to the starter and see if a fusible link is burned up. Alot of times you can not see that they are burn through. You will have to tug on them one at a time. The burned up one will pull apart.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did that already they are all ok and have power
there is 3 wires coming off of it
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Did you check to see if they were bad, if you have to you need to check with a test light. If they are all good you have got to have a broke wire or poor connection between the fusible link "A" and the tail fuse in the fuse box. There is nothering else that could cause this. The tail fuse should be powered all the time off the fusible link "A".
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you its working, you sent me on the right path, its a fried wire at the firewall under the steering wheel.