Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

2000,Saab 9-5,3.0 V6 turbo,Auto tran.I think I have a Tran problem.

I have a 2000,Saab 9-5,3.0 V6 turbo,Auto tran.I think I have a Tran problem.I''m presently living in germany,in the military and my daughter who is keeping my car lives in PA.Recently while driving the car she stopped at a red light and when she started to pull away the car acted like it did''nt want to move much,the engine acted normal,moving the trans shifter did not seem to do anything she finally got the car in a parking space. When the tow truck operator tried to move the car back to get it on the truck,the front wheels bucked (like a standard shift car in gear and the motor off).Tha guy got a long screw driver and slide it down along side the shifter and finally got it to move backwards.She said than it moved back OK ( like it was in neutral).It seemed like the shifter itself had no affect on the car.It would move into a gear position but it did''nt seem it had an effect on the tran.The SAAB dealer was not helpfully at all. My question is,is this an internal poblem or linkage.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.
Well it actually sounds like both, because the pulling up to a stoplight, sounds like it was driving along and it had troubles. The linkage would be out of play here because it had been driving around. The issue with the tow truck driver does sound like a linkage may have been a problem. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is the story doesn't tell me what I need to draw a firm conclusion. It sounds like the trans went out and it had linkage problems too.

Look talk to your daughter again, and ask her specifics. If the trans got low on fluid it could just quit. If you drive it low, you could possibly do some major damage. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hamman's Post: Italked to my daughter and the fluid level is ok.The car had just went thru inspection and was driven by the person that inspected it. Everything was good. The tran was'nt slipping,everything seemed fine.
Very good!
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer