MikeD'
MikeD', Technician
Experience:  ASE Cert, AS Degree in Automotive Diagnostics
10327015

2004 Saturn L300: which bent the valve cover..rocker arm..valve stem

What can I expect to pay for the repair of a 2004 Saturn L300 which bent the valve cover and either broke a rocker arm or a valve stem?
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeD' replied 8 years ago.
What bent the valve cover, did something bend it from the inside out, or did some thing hit it from the outside in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MikeD''s Post: Inside out, actually driver-side beneath the cover bending it up on the driver's side of the cover. Bent up approximately 1.5 cm (2/3 inch).
Expert:  MikeD' replied 8 years ago.
Wow, I could not venture to guess how much it would cost until i could take the valve cover off, and check the extent of the damage. you could need anything from a head job to an engine. If you take it to a shop they will probably have you authorize a few hours of tear down time to check the extent of damage.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MikeD''s Post: Well give me and idea. If it is just a rocker arm and push rod, how much compared to ????
How about options 1 through 5 for problems and costs?
Expert:  MikeD' replied 8 years ago.

Well, Tear down time will cost you about $160-$450. If a rocker arm or push rod is damaged it may have caused head damage in that case you are looking at around $600-$1300 and if the valve dropped down into the combustion chamber and hit the piston you are looking at between $2000-$5000 depending if you can repair the old engine with just a piston or replace the engine with either a junk yard engine or remanufactured.