Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

A third bolt way up in ther above the starter drive, There is no way

Customer Question

There appears to be a third bolt way up in ther above the starter drive, There is no way to get to it!
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to remove the intake manifold bracket to have more room to get in there, if you have not already.

Then you can use a 6", 3/8 drive extension and reach behind the starter and get the bolt out. You may have to 'feel' for it though as you can actually see it. Let me know if you have any further problems with it, thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: Are you talking about the large/long upright bracket that supports the intakr manifold from below? Then, would there be enough room to reach up there and get an extension along side the starter body above the drive to reach the last bolt?
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Yes, that is what the book says to do, let me see if I can send it.

Removal

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the upper two bolts from the intake manifold bracket.
  3. Raise vehicle and support.
  4. Remove the two bolts on the clutch release cylinder and push aside (M/T).
  5. Remove the lower two intake manifold bracket bolts.
  6. Remove intake manifold bracket.
  7. Remove the two upper starter bolts.
  8. Remove the lower starter bolt.
  9. Pull the starter from the clutch (M/T) converter (A/T) housing and prop in place.
  10. Lower the vehicle.
  11. From above, disconnect the S-terminal connector
  12. Remove nut and lock washer on B-terminal.
  13. Disconnect B-terminal.
    1. Raise and support vehicle.
    2. Push transmission wire harness aside.
    3. Remove starter.

Installation

1. Place starter in engine well.
    2. Lower vehicle
    3. Connect B-terminal wire.
    4. Install washer and nut on B-terminal and tighten.
    5. Connect S-terminal.
    6. Lower intake manifold bracket into position and insert the two upper bolts.
    7. Raise and support vehicle.
    8. Place starter in position.
    9. Insert the two upper starter bolts.
    10. Insert lower starter bolt. Notice: The starter may require adjustment after installation. If required, rotate the starter slightly to provide proper clearance.
    11. Tighten the three starter bolts. Tighten the bolts to 27-40 lb-ft (37-54 N.m).
    12. Insert lower bracket bolts and tighten. Tighten the bolts to 27-40 lbft (37-54 N.m).
    13. Position clutch release cylinder and install bolts (M/T). Tighten the bolts to 27-40 lb-ft (37-54 N.m).
    14. Lower vehicle.
    15. Tighten the two upper intake manifold bolts. Tighten the bolts to 27-40 lb-ft (37-54 N.m).
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: This vehicle is an automatic not a 5 speed. Your manual sheet appears to be for a standard trans. as a reference is made to a clutch release cylinder. Do you have a sheet for an auto trans? Also, The replacement starter has "threaded" holes for the 2 upper bolts. This means that the bolt must enter from the bell housing side. This shoots down the theary of using an extension along side the starter from the front.
I looked up in there for a bolt head on the bell housing flange, I can get to the middle bolt, but I can't get close enough to find the top one. Also,there is a huge thick wiring harness all in the way. Maybe the sheet for auto trans will help.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

They are the same, notice that it states to remove the cluth slave cylinder, (MT) if there is one, (step 4). And, pull the starter from the clutch, (MT) or converter housing, (AT).

MT = manual transmission

AT = automatic transmission

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Super mechanic's Post: OK, now I understand, MT & AT. My only problem now is wih item #7, I can't get to the top bolt. Any other ideas
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

That's all the information that I have on it. Let me opt out and we can relist the case to see if there may be another expert who may have more insight as to what it may be. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

I have some pictures that may help. Let me see if I can send them.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Then you might be able to get in there with a wrench.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Good diagram of the intake manifold bracket. Do you have any pictures of how to reach the highest starter bolt. I can't see it or even touch it with my finger. On a chat website, a person said that he had to cut a hole in the floorboard to get to it. So I pulled back the mat and and drilled little hole in the floor board. I placed a light at the hole, then went underneath to observe. It looks like that if I cut out a 2" square hole with a sawzall in that area I could get to it. Should I do that or not? Is there really a right way of getting to that bolt that can't be seen or reached?