Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

1992 GMC: EXTENDED CAB..THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS WON..HIGH BEAMS WORK

I HAVE A 1992 GMC 2500 EXTENDED CAB PICKUP. THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS WON''T COME ON. THE HIGH BEAMS WORK WHEN TURNED TO HIGH BEAM. TODAY I REPLACED THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH AND THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT BULBS AND STILL NOTHING. WHAT ELSE COULD BE WRONG?

Hello, on the bottom of the steering column under the dash is where the headlamp dimmer switch is located. It is sort of on the top part mounted along with the ignition switch. It works by remote, there is a rod that goes from the switch on the bottom of the column to the turn signal lever that you use when you work the dimmer to change from high to low beam. If you pull on the dimmer lever (turn signal lever) and you don't feel it click, the switch may be bad or even out of adjustment. If you test it electrically, the yellow should have voltage when the head lamp switch is turned on and the voltage should alternate between the other two wires, when ever you work the switch. If one of them does not have power every other time you switch beams, the switch is bad. If you replace the switch, be sure that before you remove the screws that hold it, you tape the rod to the steering column so it can't drop down and out of the hole it sets in up on the top of the column in the actuator. If the rod drops, you will go nuts trying to get it back in place correctly. I am sending a copy of the wiring diagram also, just in case. You may also want to check the fuses in the convenience center. The one marked horn & dimmer, may also affect operation of the switch. Also be sure to check the connections around the switch for burn marks or bad connection from high resistance. Thanks

.