OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

1999 Mercury Sable: I need to replace the alternator

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mercury Sable. I need to replace the alternator. Can anyone show me how I can do this myself. It seems to be easy to get to.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Is this the DOHC engine?

If you do not know, what is the 8th digit of your vin?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: the 8th digit is a U

Thank you. (For your personal information this car is not the DOHC, it's the OHV)

3.0L Ohv Engines
Detach the small electrical  connector and..width=

Detach the small electrical connector and...

..e regulator connector  from the alternator

... the regulator connector from the alternator

Slide the rubber boot back to  access the output cable retaining nut

Slide the rubber boot back to access the output cable retaining nut

Remove the retaining nut and  remove the cable from the alternator

Remove the retaining nut and remove the cable from the alternator

Remove the two mounting brace  retaining nuts and one bolt and..width=

Remove the two mounting brace retaining nuts and one bolt and...

..move the mounting brace

... remove the mounting brace

Remove the two alternator  retaining bolts and..width=

Remove the two alternator retaining bolts and...

..move the alternator from  the vehicle

... remove the alternator from the vehicle

The alternator is not internally serviceable.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Unplug the wiring harness electrical connectors from alternator/voltage regulator.

3. Unfasten the alternator output nut (B+) and remove the wire from the stud.

4. Loosen the alternator pivot bolt, then remove the mounting brace bolt from the alternator.

5. Remove the accessory drive belt from the alternator pulley. Refer to Section 1 of this manual for drive belt removal.

6. Unfasten the alternator brace retainers and remove the brace.

7. Unfasten the alternator pivot bolt and remove the alternator from the vehicle.

Exploded view of the  alternator mounting-3OHV engines

Exploded view of the alternator mounting-3.0L OHV engines

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Place the alternator into position.

2. Install the alternator pivot and mounting brace bolts. Do not tighten the bolts until the drive belt is properly tensioned.

3. Place the alternator brace into position. Tighten the brace retaining nut to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm) and the brace bolts to 76-97 inch lbs. (8.5-11 Nm).

4. Install the drive belt over the alternator pulley. Refer to Section 1 of this manual for drive belt installation.

5. Tighten the mounting brace bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm) and the pivot bolt to 30-40 ft. lbs. (40-55 Nm).

6. Attach the wiring harness electrical connector to the alternator/voltage regulator.

7. Place the eyelet of the battery output wire onto the stud and install the nut. Tighten the nut to 62-80 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry to bother you again but I don't know how to remove or loosen the belt. I have done everything up to that point.

I am very sorry for the delayed respond. The tool belve can be rented from Autozone

Removal & Installation

When installing the drive belt on the pulleys, make sure all theV-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.

This label, usually affixed  in the engine compartment, will give a diagram of the belt routing

This label, usually affixed in the engine compartment, will give a diagram of the belt routing

A very useful tool kit is  available to use for releasing the spring loaded belt tensioner

A very useful tool kit is available to use for releasing the spring loaded belt tensioner

Place the proper size socket  into the release bar

Place the proper size socket into the release bar

Some vehicles use a

Some vehicles use a 3/8 or 1/2 drive opening on the tensioner

An extension is available, if  needed, to avoid components obstructing the path to the tensioner

An extension is available, if needed, to avoid components obstructing the path to the tensioner

Just place the extension on  the end of the release bar and tighten the retaining bolt

Just place the extension on the end of the release bar and tighten the retaining bolt

Rotate the belt tensioner  and..width=

Rotate the belt tensioner and...

..move the belt from  around one of the pulleys to remove the belt

... remove the belt from around one of the pulleys to remove the belt

WARNING

Use caution when removing or installing the belt and make sure the tool doesnot slip from the drive belt tensioner or personal injury or damage to the belttensioner and the belt may occur.

1. Attach a 15mm socket or wrench to the bolt attaching the tensioner pulley.

2. On all 3.0L (OHV) engines, rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise to relieve belt tension and slide the belt off the pulleys.

3. On 3.0L (DOHC) engines, rotate the tensioner counterclockwise to relieve belt tension and slide the belt off the pulleys.

To install:

1. Install the drive belt on all the pulleys except the tensioner pulley.

2. Rotate the belt tensioner as outlined in the removal procedure to relieve belt tension and install the belt onto the tensioner pulley. Make sure the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys. Make sure the spring keeper releases or improper belt tension will occur.