Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified auto and truck technician 15 years experience domestic and foreign
9857227

2001 GMC Sonoma pickup: left turn signal..the headlights..front end

Hi, my 2001 GMC Sonoma pickup has wierd things happening in the lighting system. The daylights turn off when the left turn signal is activated and the left turn signal flashes quickly but only when the headlights are turned on. It appears that this truck was involved in a minor accident in the front end before I bought it. A mechanic looked at it today and could not find the problem. He was looking for a grounding issue and thinks the problem may be related to the minor accident and that some of the wiring on the front end of the truck may have been damaged. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob
i concur...i believe your mechanic is right on target...but did he check the ground at the rear of vehicle as well as all individual bulbs/sockets
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the ground on the rear of the vehicle? I'll check the bulbs/sockets, but it sounds like you also think that the problem is somewhere in the wiring up front where the truck sustained a small front end collision, right? Is there any place in particular I should focus on when I go through the wiring on the front end?

Thanks,

Bob

all you need to check is the ground at the sockets

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, so let me see if I have this right. I need to look at the front of the truck to see if I can find any damage done by the collision (where the problem likely lies) and then check the ground at each socket?

Thanks,

Bob
check the grounds at each socket first..look carefully at the bulbs...for what they are worth changing them won't hurt either..then if still nothing we move on to wiring issues
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the grounds now and have begun to carefully inspect the wiring looms in the front of the truck. Found a few slight crimps but nothing shorted yet.

Thanks,

Bob
if they are crimped remember they can still cause a problem by being broken internally and not allowing excellent transfer of power
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been a big help! Now all I have to do is weed through the wiring looms and bulbs. I'm buying a trailer to haul my Harleys tomorrow and while the system works pretty good in the day, when the lights come on I could have a problem.

Thanks again,

Bob

your welcome