Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  27 years import and domestic auto repair.
9843993

how to replace the starter on a 1993 pontiac bonneville

Customer Question

i need to know how to use the shims and line it up correct with the trans wheel
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Starter replacement is pretty straight-foreword on this car. The shims you are talking about are used to properly space the starter from the flywheel. They are thin metal strips with 2 holes in them, between the engine block and starter, and can only be put in one way. When you remove the starter, you simply re-use the exact same shims that are already there. If there arent any shims, install the new starter without shims. The only time you would add shims that weren't there before, is of the starter makes a loud wining sound when you start the car.

Good luck!

Joe, Technician
Experience: 27 years import and domestic auto repair.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that helped me alot and i wil accept but thats exactly what my car sounds like when i started it up and it didnt have shims when i took the starter off. so now all i need to know is where do the shim go and how
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Here is a picture to show you where the shims go. You need to get a pack of shims from auto parts store. They will come in a variety of thicknesses. Starting with the thinest one, add them one at a time until noise is gone.graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so basically the shim go on top of the starter over both holes. but which bolt do the open end of the shim go on
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Yes, exactly. When you install the starter, only put the bolt closest to the engine block in first, and only turn it a couple turns-do not tighten it. Then you install the shim, open end goes around the bolt you just started. Then you install second bolt through starter and hole in shim. Than tighten both bolts.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I am glad to help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so that would be the longest bolt thats closer to th engine block
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that bolt first. Slip shim in between engine and starter. Install short bolt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanx u helped alot
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope it works out!