GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..
10184299

1989 buick century: turn signal switch..3.3 liter v6 vin N

remove and replace turn signal switch on 1989 buick century 3.3 liter v6 vin N
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If you have never done a T-Signal switch on this style before, by far the most difficult part is pulling the lock plate.

graphic

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Remove steering wheel as outlined under STEERING WHEEL procedure.
  3. Using a screwdriver, pry cover from housing.
  4. Using lock plate compressing No. J-23653 or equivalent, compress lock plate, and pry snap ring from groove on shaft, Fig. 5. Slowly release lock plate compressing tool, then remove tool and lock plate from shaft end.
  5. Slide canceling cam and upper bearing preload spring from end of shaft.
  6. Remove turn signal (multi-function) lever.
  7. Remove hazard warning knob retaining screw, button, spring and knob.
  8. Remove pivot arm.
  9. Wrap upper part of electrical connector with tape to prevent snagging of wires during switch removal.
  10. Remove switch retaining screws and pull switch up from column, guiding wire harness through column.
  11. Reverse procedure to install.

Although it is not explained in the steps above, I'll give you some additional detail. The turn signal harness runs down through the column and there is a connector at the base of the column that must be disconnected before you can fish the harness up through the column. This is a flat connector with approximately 10 wires going to it. You will want to position this connector to be able to slide it up through the column with the wires still attached. Sometimes you may need to stick a long thin screwdriver down through from the top to help you guide the T-signal wire harness and connector up through.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Have a Great Day

Frank

Steering wheel pull proceedure:

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Remove horn button or pad.
  3. Disconnect horn pad and lead by pushing down and turning counterclockwise.
  4. Remove retainer and steering wheel retaining nut.
  5. Using steering wheel puller No. J-1859-03 or equivalent, remove steering wheel. On 1990-92 models with steering wheel controls, puller bolts should not be turned in more than five complete turns.
  6. Reverse procedure to install.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you have any graphics to illustrate the listed moves?
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 8 years ago.

Customer

I don't have step by step graphics. I am using All-Data as my information tool. They offer many graphics, however on the 89 model, They don't offer much graphic detail.

Can you be specific on where you think you'll need additional help with this job, and I'll be happy to offer something possibly in a newer model that will offer additional graphic for you.

Frank

Expert:  GM-Frank replied 8 years ago.

Here is an additional graphic that may be of help to you.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is it required to remove the combination switch control stalk and if so how does it coma apart?
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 8 years ago.

Just the lever needs to be removed. And one screw retains the little pivot arm that comes over from the multi-function switch.

Then 3 screws retain the t-sig switch.

Once you remove the steering wheel and remove the lock plate, the rest is pretty much common sense. You'll see that it's not too difficult from this point forward.

Frank