Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
9480930

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix: windshield wipers..the intermittent stopped

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. The windshield wipers stopped straight up when off, the intermittent stopped in the right position. I sent it to my mechanic and bought a windshield wiper motor and got it put in, but it still doesn''t fix it. It started in the winter when the night before a storm I had turned the car off while the wipers weren''t in the off position, there was snow packed underneath the wipers and when I turned it off it tried to go down but instead went straight up. Everyone told me "wiper motor" "wiper motor" but now I don''t know what to do and neither does my mechanic...Help?! Please!
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer,

There is a GM bulletin concerning your issue, The crank arm may also have been damaged from the Ice and snow. Both get replaced under this bulletin.

#02-08-43-002: Windshield Wipers Park in Outwipe Position (Install Wiper Motor Crank Arm and Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit) - (May 22, 2002)

Subject:Windshield Wipers Park In Outwipe Position (Install Wiper Motor Crank Arm and Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit)

Models:2002 Buick Century, Regal
2002 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

Condition

Some customers may comment that the windshield wipers park in the outwipe (vertical) position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a bent park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.

Correction

To correct this condition, install a new windshield wiper motor crank arm and a windshield wiper motor bracket service kit. Use the following service procedure:

Bent Wiper Motor Park Tab

Object Number: 883067  Size: SH

1. Remove the windshield wiper motor drive system module. Inspect the park tab on the wiper motor bracket. It may be bent as shown in the illustration above. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818798).
  2. Remove the windshield wiper transmission from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818797).
  3. Remove the windshield wiper motor crank arm from the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818984).
  4. Remove the windshield wiper motor from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818796).

Straight Wiper Motor Park Tab

Object Number: 883068  Size: SH

5. Reassemble the windshield wiper motor drive system using a new windshield wiper motor crank arm, P/N 12494832 and the contents of the windshield wiper motor bracket service kit, P/N 88958149 (in Canada, P/N 88958260). The park tab on the new wiper motor bracket should be straight as shown in the illustration shown above.
  6. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor transmission onto the new windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818797).
  7. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818796). Refer to the instruction sheet in the service kit for the proper installation of the flat washer onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. It must be seated against the park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.
  8. Reinstall the windshield wiper motor crank arm onto the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818984).
  9. Reinstall the windshield wiper drive system module into the vehicle. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #818798).
  10. Test the operation of the windshield wipers and washer.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

12494832

Arm, Windshield Wiper Motor Crank

1

88958149

(US)

88958260

(Canada)

Windshield Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit

1

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on 6/3/02.