Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician-10 yrs., Service Writer-Foreign, Domestic & Fleet, Alternative Fuel Expert
9964578

2000 Lincoln LS: intermittent..overheating..it approx time to warm up

I have a 2000 Lincoln LS V8,with 115,000. I have been having an intermittent overheating problem. It does not occur all the time, but when it does it happens about 3 or so miles from when I originally turn car on, I take it approx time to warm up. I will hear the fan start and increase in speed when I acclerate and decrease when I slow down. The temperature gauger, which usually is a little below half on indicator gauge, rapidly increases to top of gauger, the on board computer dispplay will say- engine overheat and a few times has activated the "reduced engione power- fail safe" mode. Engine light will illuminate but then goes off when it cools down. i have put the computer on it it only reads that the reduce power fail safe was activated, no other info comes up. When this car overheats i pull to the side of the road turn car off and wait aboput 3-5 mins, then re-start and temp level is perfect, where it should be, even when I hard acclerate the car is fine. I do no have any leaks, the coolant level is perfect in bottle. I have opened the coolant bleed line which is near the bottle to see if there is any air in system, a little comes out then the coolant, i need help. Please answer back

This is actually a pretty common problem with the LS.

The engine block water lines are higher in places than the thermostat. When the system is drained, a vent cap at the top of the engine block must be removed and the engine block filled from that location PRIOR to adding coolant to the rest of the system. This ensures all the air is out of the system. Thermostat replacement may make the problem worse by adding to the vapor lock condition.

Thanks for using JA

100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply so I can help you more. When you're satisfied, press accept so I can get credit for my work. A bonus and positive feedback would be welcomed.

Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've opened the vent tube located near the coolant bottle while engine running and a little bubbly air has escaped then it flows straight coolant. Where is this "vent cap" that you speak of on the engine located? I appreciate your help. I'll wait for reply. Thanks

That seems to be a fairly common problem, I did a little more checking and it sounds like removing the temp sensor to purge air does the trick quite easily.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

If this helps you please click ACCEPT! Bonuses and Feedback are geatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where is the temp sensor? also could this be an electrical problem. the car does not overheat, no coolant leaks out etc, shutting car off for a few minutes then re-starting it seems to fix it for a short time, please explain this, that's why i think it's an electrical problem. If you could tell me where temp sensor is that ould be helpful.

That would be my first impression as well, but I knew of the air lock problems in the LS so I did a little checking and found that there are many many cases of this. It does'nt necessarily mean the engine is that hot, it is just the way it indicates with the air lock condition. . At temp the air bubble contains superheated steam and when that hits the sensor it thinks it's overheating. When the air bubble passes it goes back to normal. The LS has a more complicated than usual bleeding process. I am attempting to find you a good picture of the location, but I recommend having the bleed process done by a professional.

Thanks for using JA

If this helps you please click ACCEPT and leave feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
after doing all of this will it happen again? is there a leak somewhere, or a place where the air is coming in and can that area be fixed? A picture wuld be helpful.

No it shouldn't, once the air issue is resolved it seems to stay fixed as long as the system isn't opened back up. It is a design flaw in the system, and the fact that an elaborate bleeding procedure needs to be followed. I might not be able to get the graphic I want to send you until tomorrow morning. But I will send it then.

Thanks for using JA
Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the help. my email is [email protected] come back and I'll accept so you can get paid and i'll leave a good feedback

Great, thanks. I'll get that info over to you first thing in the AM.

I know its confusing but I'm glad I could help you out. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Again

Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
for each answer is that $9 ? just curious, sorry for being a pain
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so what accept do I hit? the last one?
Yes. That much I think I know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ill hit accept and hopefully that will take me to your feedback section, should i do it that way?
Yes that should work. If you have any problems I'll get a moderator to help you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the Temperature Semsor located ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where is the temperature sensor located please? Where is the temperature sensor on engine block located in relation to overheating problem as asked in previous question, which was answered by Ms. Wrench, she was going to send me a diagram or illustration to [email protected], havent received anything yet.