OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

i have a 2001 mazda tribute and am trying to get find out ...

i have a 2001 mazda tribute and am trying to get find out what the correct timing marks are. i think that the info i have is incorrect
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

3.0L Engine
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Negative battery cable
    • Engine front cover
    • Ignition pulse wheel and install a damper bolt
    • Spark plugs
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position and the camshafts in the correct positions. The No. 1 cylinder will be at Top Dead Center (TDC).
  4. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 120 degrees to the 3 o'clock position to locate the right side camshafts in the neutral position.
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Right side timing chain and tensioner
    • Tensioner arm and timing chain guide
  6. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 2 times to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position. This will position the left side camshafts in the neutral position.
  7. Verify that the left side crankshafts are in the neutral position and mark the link position on the crankshaft sprocket.
  8. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Left side timing chain and tensioner
    • Tensioner arm and timing chain guide
    • Damper bolt and crankshaft sprockets

To install:

1. Install the crankshaft sprockets.
  2. Position the timing chain tensioner in a soft jaw vise. Hold the ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem and slowly compress the timing chain tensioner
  3. If the timing marks on the chain are not visible, use a permanent marker to mark the left and right side timing chains. Mark the timing chains in the following sequence:
    1. Mark any link to use as the crankshaft timing mark.
    2. Count 29 links from the crankshaft timing mark and mark the link as the exhaust cam sprocket timing mark.
    3. Continue counting to 42 and mark the link as the intake sprocket timing mark
  4. Install the guide. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  5. Install the left side timing chain and align the chain in the following sequence:
  6. Install or connect the following:
    • Left side timing chain and tensioner arm. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    • Crankshaft damper bolt and rotate the keyway to the 3 o'clock position
  7. Verify that the right side camshafts are properly positioned and install the right side timing chain and guide. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  8. Make certain that the timing chain aligns with the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets
    Mark the timing chain in the proper sequence-3engine

Mark the timing chain in the proper sequence-3.0L engine

Click to Enlarge
CAUTION

Install the pulse wheel with the keyway in the slot stamped 20-25-34Y-30M (Color Blur).

1. Install or connect the following:
    • Right side timing chain tensioner and arm. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) and remove the damper bolt
    • Ignition pulse wheel
    • Spark plugs
    • Engine front cover
    • Negative battery cable
CAUTION

During engine repair procedures, cleanliness is extremely important. Any foreign material, including any material created while cleaning gasket surfaces that enters the oil passages, coolant passages or the oil pan can cause engine failure.

NOTE

Failure to verify correct timing drive component alignment will result in severe engine damage.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Raise and support the vehicle safely.

3. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.

4. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

NOTE

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies, if equipped.

5. Remove the crankshaft front oil seal.

6. Remove the front cover.

Ignition pulse wheel-3engine

Ignition pulse wheel-3.0L engine

NOTE

Install the pulse wheel with the keyway in the slot stamped 20-25-34Y-30M (Color Blue) on 2001-2004 engines. On 2005-2006 engines, install the pulse wheel with the keyway in the slot stamped "30" or "30RFF" (orange in color).

7. Remove the ignition pulse wheel. Install the damper bolt. Remove the spark plugs.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position-3engine

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position-3.0L engine

8. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position and the camshafts in the correct positions. The No. 1 cylinder will be at Top Dead Center (TDC).

NOTE

Verify that the camshafts are correctly located, if not rotate the crankshaft one additional turn and recheck.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 120 degrees to the 3 o'clock position to locate the right side camshafts in the neutral position-3engine

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 120 degrees to the 3 o'clock position to locate the right side camshafts in the neutral position-3.0L engine

9. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 120 degrees to the 3 o'clock position to locate the right side camshafts in the neutral position. Verify that the right camshafts are in the neutral position.

Right side camshaft alignment in the neutral position-3engine

Right side camshaft alignment in the neutral position-3.0L engine

10. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Right side timing chain and tensioner

• Tensioner arm and timing chain guide

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 1

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 12/3 times to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position-3.0L engine

11. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 12/3 times to position the keyway at the 11 o'clock position. This will position the left side camshafts in the neutral position.

Left side camshaft alignment in the neutral position-3engine

Left side camshaft alignment in the neutral position-3.0L engine

12. Verify that the left side camshafts are in the neutral position and mark the link position on the crankshaft sprocket.

13. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Left side timing chain and tensioner

• Tensioner arm and timing chain guide

• Damper bolt and crankshaft sprockets

To install:

1. Install the crankshaft sprockets.

Hold the ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem-3engine

Hold the ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem-3.0L engine

2. Position the timing chain tensioner in a soft jaw vise. Hold the ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem and slowly compress the timing chain tensioner. Retain the piston with a 1.5mm wire or paper clip.

• Mark any link to use as the crankshaft timing mark.

• Count 29 links (including the starting link) in the counterclockwise direction from the crankshaft timing mark and mark the link as the left hand chain exhaust/right hand chain intake cam sprocket timing mark.

• Continue counting to 42 and mark the link as the left hand chain exhaust/right hand chain intake sprocket timing mark.

Left camshafts are correctly positioned-3engine

Left camshafts are correctly positioned-3.0L engine

Mark the timing chain in the proper sequence (1) mark any link (2) count 29 links (3) count 42 links-3engine

Mark the timing chain in the proper sequence (1) mark any link (2) count 29 links (3) count 42 links-3.0L engine

Left side timing chain installed-3engine

Left side timing chain installed-3.0L engine

• Count 29 links from the crankshaft timing mark and mark the link as the exhaust cam sprocket timing mark.

• Continue counting to 42 and mark the link as the intake sprocket timing mark

6. Install or connect the following:

• Crankshaft damper bolt and rotate the keyway to the 3 o'clock position.

Right camshafts are correctly positioned-3engine

Right camshafts are correctly positioned-3.0L engine

9. Install or connect the following:

• LH and RH chain tensioner position retaining wires

10. Remove the crankshaft damper bolt.

Timing chains alignment (1)12 chain links (2) 27 chain links (3) 30 chain links-3engine

Timing chains alignment (1)12 chain links (2) 27 chain links (3) 30 chain links-3.0L engine

11. Verify valve timing, there should be 12 chain links between the front camshaft timing marks. There should be 27 chain links between the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks. There should be 30 chain links between the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks.

NOTE

12. Install the ignition pulse wheel.

NOTE

• Spark plugs

• Engine front cover

• Negative battery cable

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks that really helped everything i read said that it was 29 links between first two marks and i got 28 none except your said to count starting link to get 29. thanks alot