Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

I need a radio unlock code for a 2003 SATURN ION ...

Customer Question

I need a radio unlock code for a 2003 SATURN ION in-dash 6 disc changer radio. I have VIN number and secret code by pressing the preset numbers 1& 2. Please help, Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
What is the 4 digit code & I will see if I can get the UNLOCK Code
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: The code that the radio gives me, by pressing the preset buttons 1&2 together for 5 seconds is: 9942
As you may know that the radio is from a 2003 SATURN ION and I can give you the VIN number if needed.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

9942

Unlock Code:

9 7 6 3

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: The code did not work. There is still no audio, maybe I am doing something wrong? I know you hold down preset buttons 5 & 6 until the screens says enter code. then it tells to enter it again it says "rep" for repeat. then you are to press the AM/FM button to accept the code, correct? Please let me know.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

That is the Factory UNLOCK Code:

Turn ignition On.
Press the radio power button. The display will show "- - - -".
Enter the four digit code by using the and rocker buttons. The numbers will start at 0000 and will increase on the display each time the corresponding side of the rocker button is pushed.
7.1 Press the down arrow side of rocker button to change left digit.
7.2 Press the op arrow side of rocker button to change second to left digit.
7.3 Press the down arrow side of rocker button to change third to left digit.
7.4 Press the up arrow side of rocker button to change last digit.

Press the AM/FM button after entering the four digit code. If the correct code has been entered, the radio will return to the SEC (armed) mode and normal operation will return. If the wrong code is entered, the display will show an error message and display "- - - -" indicating another attempt at the correct code can be made.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, the "power" button does nothing, but turn on and off the radio. when I press the preset buttons 5 & 6 together I get the " - - - - " screen i then press the "disc""seek""scan" button with the "up" and "down" arrow, I can change the first two digits. With the "tune""rew"'FF" button I can enter the third and last digit of the code. But, it does nothing after I press the "AM/FM" which also says "set" . All it does is go to the clock display. And NO AUDIO, I want to remind you that the radio never indicated the "SEC" or "error" message at any time. Also this radio is a "SATURN" radio. It does not say "AC/DELCO" anywhere on it. the words "MATSUSHITA CORPORATION" is on the back sticker with a "GM" part number.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Am aware it is a Saturn Radio.
If you gave me the correct Factory Code ( 9942 ) in the correct sequence, then 9 7 6 3 is the correct code.
Please check the Factory Code first.
If it is correct, then the radio may be in "Total Lockup" & you will need to leave the ignition switch in the ON or Run position for at least 1 hour, "undisturbed" (ignition or radio)

Be sure you battery is fully charged, or you leave the vehicle running.

If the Total Lockup Reset does not reset the radio, then Radio Repair will need to be done

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes , the "9942" is the correct factory code. and I got the code by pressing the preset buttons 1 & 2 together for 5 seconds. If the radio is on "TOTAL LOCKUP" , then I will try turning the ignition switch for 1 hour. Does the radio have to be also on for 1 hour?
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Ignition Switch On or Run position. Radio On
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay will try that now, but it's kind of late. I will try it for one hour and few minutes to be sure. the clock said 11:34 when I turn the ignition "ON" and the radio "ON" , I hope this works because I paid a pretty penny for a factory radio for my wife's car. And speaking of that, how much is your fee for ALL this inside information?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well that did not work either, I waited TWO(2)hours and still nothing. What is "Radio Repair" and where can I get it done for how much? I am in BREWSTER, NY 10509.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the added Info:
<< " I hope this works because I paid a pretty penny for a factory radio for my wife's car.">>

Does your vehicle have the Amp for the "new" radio?

2003 Saturn ION had a Amplifier for the radio

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure if there is a amplifier hidden somewhere with in the car. My wife's 2003 SATURN VUE came with a half-din radio. It was stolen, I then purchased the double din radio from a salvage yard on ebay which provided the 2003 SATURN ION VIN number. How would I know if the radio that was stolen worked with an external amplifier or rather how would I know if the 2003 ION radio is a PRE-AMPLIFIED radio that requires a AMPLIFIER? I also want to mention that the radio is the in-dash 6 disc changer with the equalizer and cassette. Here is the VIN# XXXXX
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
If it is out of a 2003 ION, the ION came with an Amplifier mounted in rear.
The 2003 VUE does not have an Amplifier
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

O.K....

His add is correct. It does fit the VUE & others, but there needs to be an AMP with it, if you are not replacing the ION factory unit.

He should have been able to supply you with the correct Code also

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess, He failed to mention that in the description section of the auction. So what do you suggest? I guess I will have to sell it forward or see if he has an amplifier to sell me. I don't know, I guess it would had been better to just buy a aftermarket radio.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

I would be interested in why he was selling, unless it is a business.
If it is salvage, then they may not even know.
I prefer Factory, but usually the original for the specific vehicle, because there are to many variables between other like Units, not to mention the DATA Type units.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it looks like he is a dismantler and would not know about the amp. But where does that leave me? I am out of $83.53 and no sound. You know, now that I think about it, the radio NEVER SAID, "SEC" OR "INOP" OR ANYTHING TO THAT EFFECT. It's weird but I don't think the code was ever activated, because the radio stations looked like they where coming in, I can see the CD player play ALL 6 CD's and the EQ button from the side was also working, Just no sound. weird.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
You are correct...
If AM/FM stations were showing, then the Code was not needed.
Just the AMP. But the AMP will not work without the complete harness from the ION
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am going outside now to remove the radio. I guess I lost out on this one. I am going to look for a double din radio (aftermarket) like I should have done in the first place. So much for the factory look. I guess I'll try and put it on ebay and see if I can sell it or maybe contact the seller and see if he would take it back.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Be sure to use a Adapter Harness like METRA 70-2002 or similar
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually that was my original plan. I already had purchased a wiring adapter harness from ebay. It's not a METRA, but for .99 cents you really can't beat it. I never liked to cut the vehicles original harness.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Way to go.
Hope it's color for color wires for your new unit
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model# XXXXX Ref# XXXXX This is what the sticker on top of the radio say. Matsushita Communication Industrial Corporation of U.S.A.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

??

I was refering to the Adapter Plug & Aftermarket Radio having the same color wires

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OH, yeah I kind of confused you. That last information is for the SATURN OEM radio. As for the aftermarket radio I am considering the PIONEER that has the bluetooth and iPod video & audio controls through the touchscreen. it's going to set me back a couple of hundred dollars, but I think it will be worth it. It's a double din radio and the illumination on both the screen and the buttons are selectable to six different colors.It would make the radio look like it came with the car a little bit.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Pioneer is a good unit. If it is with NAV, you may want to consider the one that doesn't have to have the NAV CD left in the Unit to operate
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Did you get it installed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, not yet. I did get the PIONEER AVIC-D3 w/ iPod interface wire and Bluetooth adapter for my wife's cell phone.
I was going to try and get the SATURN radio working. it turned out that the radio is NOT pre-amplified and it may need to be "MARRIED" to my VUE's computer.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
That won't work..
You need the harness & Amp for the ION it came out of.
The ION Unit does not have an Internal Amp
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

If this has Helped......Please Click the ACCEPT Button so I will recieve credit