Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Hyundai santa fe: the drive shaft carrier bearing

Customer Question

how to remove and replace the drive shaft carrier bearing? on a hyundai santa fe
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

What year santa fe?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2001
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Here are complete Hyundai service directions on the removing the driveshaft and dis-assembly to remove the center carrier bearing:

REMOVAL
1.After marking the companion flange and flange yoke, and the differential companion flange and rubber coupling with a line, remove the propeller shaft.

When removing the propeller shaft, be careful not to damage the boot. Insert a piece of cloth into the boot to prevent it from being damaged.
INSTALLATION
1.Apply the grease to the rubber coupling centering device. See [Cf.] p.DS-4, LUBRICANTS.

2.Insert the rubber coupling centering device to the differential drive pinion slightly.
Align the propeller shaft for reassembly. Support the center bearing assembly.

3.Temporarily install the center bearing mounting bracket.

When installing center bearing mounting bracket, make the mark 'R' face to the vehicle's rear.
Install the flange so that it faces upward as shown in the illustration.

4.Align the marks on the companion flange and flange yoke and the differential companion flange and rubber coupling. Install the propeller shaft.

Specified torque :
Transfer flange to flange yoke : 50~60 Nm (500~600 kgf·cm, 37~44 lb·ft)
Differential companion flange to rubber coupling : 100~120 Nm (1000~1200 kgf·cm, 73~88 lb·ft)
5.Tighten the center bearing mounting bracket to the specified torque.
Specified torque : 40~50 Nm (400~500 kgf·cm, 29~37 lb·ft)

DISASSEMBLY

1.REMOVAL OF SNAP RINGS
A.Make marks on the yoke and universal joint that are to be disassembled.
B.Remove the snap ring from the yoke with a snap ring pliers.

2.REMOVAL OF JOURNAL BEARINGS Remove the journal bearings from the yoke with a special tool (09493-43000).
Do not tap the journal bearings to remove them, because this will cause inbalance of the propeller shaft.

3.REMOVAL OF VL JOINT ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION BOLTS
A.Place marks on the companion flange and VL joint assembly.
B.Remove the VL joint installation bolts and separate the VL joint assembly from the companion flange.

4.REMOVAL OF SELF-LOCKING NUT/COMPANION FLANGE
A.Place marks on the companion flange and the rear propeller shaft.
B.Remove the companion flange from the rear propeller shaft.

5.REMOVAL OF CENTER BEARING ASSEMBLY
A.Remove the center bearing bracket.
B.Pull out the center bearing with a puller.

6.REMOVAL OF VL JOINT ASSEMBLY
A.Remove the VL joint boot from the VL joint assembly

B.Put marks on the mating parts with a scriber.
Note the positions of balls so that they can be reinstalled in their original positions.

C.Remove the VL joint assembly from the front propeller shaft with a commercially available puller.

7.REMOVAL OF VL JOINT BOOT When reusing the VL joint boot, apply adhesive tape to the splined section of the propeller shaft before removing.

INSPECTION
1.Check the propeller shaft yoke for wear, damage or cracks.
2.Check the propeller shaft for bends, twisting or damage.
3.Check the universal joints for smooth operation in all directions.

4.Check the center bearing for smooth movement.
5.Check the center bearing mounting rubber for damage or deterioration.
6.Check the rubber coupling for damage or deterioration.
7.Measure the propeller shaft runout with a dial indicator.
Limit : 0.5 mm (0.02 in.)

INSPECTION
1.Check the propeller shaft splines for wear or damage.
2.Check the ball grooves in the inner and outer races for uneven wear, damage or rust.
3.Check the ball surfaces for rust, wear or damage.
4.Check the cage for rust or damage.
REASSEMBLY
1.INSTALLATION OF VL JOINT BOOT Wrap the splined end of the propeller shaft with adhesive tape.

2.INSTALLATION OF VL JOINT ASSEMBLY
A.Apply a thin coat of the specified grease to the ball grooves of the inner and outer races. See [Cf.] p.DS-4, LUBRICANTS.
B.Put the cage on the inner race with the marks aligned and install two balls, one in a groove and the other in the groove opposite to that groove.Both balls should be placed in the grooves where they were before.

C.Assemble the inner race and cage in the outer race with their marks aligned.
D.Install the remaining balls in their original positions.
E.Check that the outer and the inner race rotate smoothly.

F.Apply the specified grease to the VL joint assembly. See [cf.] p.DS-4, LUBRICANTS.

G.Apply a small amount of specified adhesive in three places, equally divided, on the surface of the VL joint ball groove stepped section and thenfit the rubber packing. See [Cf.] p.DS-4, SEALANTS and ADHESIVE.

H.Install the VL joint assembly on the propeller shaft while aligning the bolt holes, and hammer the joint assembly using a socket wrench to installthe inner race completely.
Be sure that the grooves of the VL joint assembly face toward the VL joint boot.

I.Realign the bolt holes in the boot and VL joint assembly utilizing the mounting bolts, and fit the boot on the joint assembly.
J.Fit the rubber packing on the companion flange according to the same procedure as in step (g).

3.INSTALLATION OF BOOT BAND
Position the boot band clip on the side opposite to the bosses which are provided in the boot for ventilation. Be sure to remove grease, if present, from around the bosses because the grease obstructs theventilation.

4.INSTALLATION OF CENTER BEARING ASSEMBLY / COMPANION FLANGE / SELF-LOCKING NUT
A.Install the bearing and retainer to the groove of the center bearing bracket.
B.Install the dust seal of the center bearing assembly to the front propeller shaft so that it faces forward.

C.Align the marks on the companion flange and the rear propeller shaft.

D.Press-fit the center bearing assembly with the companion flange after tightening the self-locking nut.
5.INSTALLATION OF VL JOINT ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION BOLTS
A.Align the marks on the companion flange and VL joint assembly.
B.Secure the companion flange and VL joint assembly by tightening installation bolts.
C.Check for grease leakage at the VL joint boot and companion flange.

6.INSTALLATION OF CENTER BEARING ASSEMBLY
A.Install the bearing and retainer to the rubber mount groove of the center bearing bracket.
B.Install the dust seal of the center bearing assembly so that it faces foward.

7.INSTALLATION OF JOURNAL AND JOURNAL BEARING
A.Apply the specified grease to the following parts of the universal joint kit. :
Shafts and grease sumps of the journal.
Dust seal lips.
Needle roller bearings. See [Cf.] p.DS-4, LUBRICANTS.
Use of excessive amounts of grease may result in difficulty in assembling the unit and incorrect selection of snap rings.

B.Press-fit the journal bearings in the yoke according to the following procedures:
Install the base to the special tool.
Insert both bearings in the yoke. Hold and press-fit them using the special tool (09493-43100, 09493-43000).

8.INSTALLATION OF SNAP RINGS
A.Install snap rings of the same thickness onto both sides of each yoke.
B.Press the bearing and journal into one side using a brass bar.
C.Measure the clearance between the snap ring and the groove wall of the yoke with a feeler gauge. If the clearance exceeds the standard value,replace the snap rings.
0.02 ~ 0.06 mm

Snap ring thickness mmIdentification color
1.28-
1.31Yellow
1.34Blue
1.37Purple
1.40Brown