Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

1999 Chevy S10: the distributor..runs fine..check engine light..knock

Customer Question

Hi, I just replaced the distributor in my 1999 Chevy S10, 4.3 engine, the motor runs fine but I can not get the check engine light to go out. I keep getting code P1345, I can knock the code out but as soon as I start the engine it will come back on within about a minute. If I knock the code out while it is running it will stay off till I restart engine. Any ideas, Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer The code p1345 is crankshaft/camshaft pacesetting sensor correlation. If you just changed the distributer, I would be 99% sure it is off by one tooth. I would double check that the distributer is dead on. Being off only a little will set this code.

Let me know of you need more info.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to comesto's Post: Sorry, but engine runs perfect and timing light shows that the timing is correct.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

I should have asked you first, was the light on before you replaced the distributer, and why did you replace it.

Even though the truck runs fine, and the timing light shows it is in time, it could still be off one tooth, and you could be compensating for it by having the distributer turned too far one way or another. That will set a code.

If you are positive the distributer is indexed correctly, what brand distributer did you use. If the light wasnt on before you replaced it, I would suspect the distributer being defective.

Let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to comesto's Post: Hi, The light was not on before the distributor was replaced, it was replaced because the truck would run rough in the morning when damp out, till it warmed up and it would also start running bad in the car washes, I found a crack in the housing so I replaced the distributor and thats when the check engine light problem started. I am not sure what brand distributor it is, it came from a discount auto part source. Rock Auto of Madison Wi. The truck has never run so good but I can not get the light out.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Well, because that code is for cam/crank sensor correlation-the key word being correlation, I would suspect the distributer. I have replaced many of these distributers, only to have the vehicle come up with a new problem, such as a check engine light. I have even replaced the defective distributer with another aftermarket distributer only to have the same problem. When I got the distributer from the dealer, the problem was gone!(I learned a valuable lesson). I would get another distributer-a DELCO one if you can.

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell us a little more about how you installed the distributor? How did you go about aligning things as you installed the distributor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to comesto's Post: Hi, tomorrow I will install old distributor and see if this shuts off light, because this one works fine as long as it is not damp. I will then reset light and if light stays off this should answer problem. if correct I will get back and hit accept, Thank You.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

That sounds like a plan. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: Hi, I took cap off old one and saw where rotor was pointed, then removed it and set new one in same spot, as I held it down my son bumped starter to hit oil pump drive.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok my feeling is that this is more of a misinstalled distributor rather than a problem with the unit. I would advise you to try to install the distributor in this manner to make sure it is installed correctly.

Object Number: 334551  Size: SH

Important: Rotate the number (1) cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke. The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at top dead center (TDC). With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

• Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number (1) piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.
    Object Number: 301395  Size: SH

Notice: The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:

The distributor driven gear
    The distributor shaft
    The rotor holes
    Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.

• Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3).
  • With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine (1) or V8 engine (2).
    The alignment will not be exact.
    If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180 degrees opposite of the rotor segment when it is installed in the distributor.

Object Number: 34397  Size: SH

• Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
  • Guide the distributor into the engine.

Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.

Object Number: 4350  Size: SH

• Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.
    This pointer may have a 6 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine or a 8 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine.
    If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.
    If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

Object Number: 366609  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Install the distributor mounting clamp bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 301393  Size: SH

• Install the distributor cap.
  • Install two NEW distributor cap screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

• Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
  • Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
    Object Number: 387772  Size: SH

• Install the ignition coil wire.

The wire must not touch anything like the dip stick, rubbing will make a ground/short after time of use.

Important: If the Malfunction Indicator lamp is turned on after installing the distributor, and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly. Repeat Installation Procedure 2 if Malfunction Indicator lamp is turned on after installing the distributor.

• Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
    Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.
    That's funny, that is EXACTLY what I said in my first post!
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Relist: I still need help.
    I installed new distributor in my 1999 S10, 4.3 because it was running bad in damp weather and through car washes, that resolved that problem, but since then I cannot get the check engine light to turn off, I can reset it but as soon as you start engine within a few second it turns back on with code po1345. I have tryed moving distributor tooth forward an a tooth back, same result, can not keep light off. I put back in old moduel from old distributor still can not keep light from comming back on with same code po1345. Truck run great. Please help. Than You.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    This problem is based on the fact that the cam position sensor in the distributor is not in sync with the crank position sensor. If you cannot get it set, you may want to have someone with a class 2 scan tool verify its calibration. This is the only other alternative besides simply getting it in correct from the start.