Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

2003 aztek: trying to get the spare tire to release

ive got a 2003 aztec and im trying to get the spare tire to release from underneath the vehicle. The tire dropped maybe four inches and stopped. Now i can''t get it to go up or down it is just hanging from the cable. I read in the owners manual about the secondary latch system and tried jacking the tire up to release the latch but it just won''t do a thing. What can i do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Hello, GM has had a lot of problems with the spare tire hoist on these units. It sounds from your description like you have done about all you can do. If jacking up on the tire and trying the release did not help about all you can do is cut the cable to get the tire down and install a new hoist. Be sure when you replace the spare that it goes with the valve stem toward the rear of the car and pointed down.I did check the GM website for you and they have not posted any bulletins or recalls regarding this problem. If you need help installing a new hoist, just drop me a note. Thanks