autotech36, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, GM certified, Chrysler certified

2000 oldsmobile intrigue: dumps coolant..leaks..compression..exhaust

Customer Question

2000 oldsmobile intrigue, dumps coolant through overflow on resevoir. No leaks noted. No problems with compression, no white smoke in exhaust.
Category: Car
Expert:  autotech36 replied 8 years ago.

First, can we get a little more information from you?

1) What engine is in the vehicle, 3.1L?

2) Does the temperature guage show the engine is overheating?

3) Has the vehicle had any recent repairs (related or not to the problem now)?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1) 3.5 L

2) No

3) Replaced thermostat, did not help

When you replaced the thermostat, did you open the air bleeders to vent air pockets out of the engine (not running)? Also, what was the condition of the coolant previously? Mileage of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ran car with overflow cap off for about 30 minutes (this is supposed to bleed the air)

At this point coolant is water only, dumeped antifreeze.

220,000 miles

Ok, There is atleast one bleeder that has to be opened to let the air escape from the engine. One is on the front left of the engine above and behind the water pump on top of the bypass tube. There may or may not also be one on the thermostat housing. As for the coolant; water only, boils at 212 degrees F. The normal operating temperature of the engine is about 220 degrees F (give or take a few degrees). It is absolutely necessary to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. I would suggest these corrections first, along with a new coolant reservoir cap to start with. There could be bigger issues, but this is the least costly and most common at this point.

I hope this information helps. Reply here if you need further assistance with this issue. Thanks you for posting with us on

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At this point I have implemented the suggested solution, but the symptoms persist.

As long as the system is sealed good and everything is correct so far, you may have a head problem allowing engine compression to enter the cooling system.