MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
5229702

2001 Buick Regal LS: I blew the driver side rear woofer..GM

Customer Question

My car ; a 2001 Buick Regal LS w/ 8 speaker monsoon sound system. I blew the driver side rear woofer. I went to GM and bought both rear deck speakers,left & right sides.They''re a perfect match & at $65 ea.,very reasonable ,but I cannot see how they mount into the rear deck! It almost looks like the rear deck has to come out then the speakers drop in and snap in place but that seems a little over the top. Can you please tell me how to get these things mounted ?----------------Greg, Amarillo, Tx
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 8 years ago.

Hi Greg. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Does this look like the correct speaker, and where it should be mounted?

graphic

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, thats it ,however mine came with the tweeter attached to the side of the woofer.You can see on the right, side of the view, where there is a square-ish cut-out in the deck panel. that is where the tweeter will sit.Tweeter slides onto the two tabs that are on the long side of the woofer casing(seen in the view)
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 8 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Sorry about the delay, but there seems to be several "sub-procedures" to get to and replace the speakers in the back. Here they are as PDF files that you should be able to view on your computer and print. Please let me know if you have any trouble getting or reading the files.

Replace Rear Speakers
Replace Rear Window Shelf Trim Panel

Replace Rear Quarter Lower Trim Panel
Replace Rear Quarter Upper Trim Panel
Replace Rear Seat Back Folding
Replace Rear Seat Back Non-Folding

Replace Rear Seat Cushion
Replace Rear Seat Back Sound Barrier

Here is a drawing of the trim tool that is mentioned in some of the procedures. You can get these tools at almost any auto parts store for $5-$10.

graphic

I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry i'm late getting back. I was called to Neb. on a business emergency(1 week). thanks for your help! I don't know why GM doesn't mount this stuff from the trunk;even the power amp is mounted from the cab.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 8 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the accept and for getting back to me.

My theory is that the engineers don't always "think" everything through, and don't have to do repairs on their own cars. But I shouldn't pick on them, as they are probably constrained by overall cost, and such other things, by the company.

Thanks again, XXXXX