importdoctor
importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years experience
9414525

2000 Ford Windstar: coolant leak..hose..upper intake..intake manifold

2000 Ford Windstar - coolant leak appears to be from a hose connection into the back right corner of the upper intake manifold. Very difficult to see. Would there be any comments as to the likely source?
Category: Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! There are a few common coolant leaks in this area I have come across in the past on the 3.8l engine. The coolant port on both the throttle body and also the return line to the upper intake manifold gasket have a tendancy to corrode and leak. Unfornutely there is no fix but to replace the corroded component. Of course you want to be sure first that the leak is not something as simple as a hose or clamp before ordering an expensive part. Also you need to check the freeze plugs on the block and be sure not to run the engine with a low coolant level, the headgaskets on this engine are weak and will be easily damaged with any extreme heat. My best suggestion would be to pressure test the system and place on lift or jacks if needed to better access a visual location to inspect for the leaks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Peter's Post: I'm thinking that from what you say, it's likely the return line on ht eupper intake manifold. So, if thats what is leaking, then the line has to be replaced? And to replace it... what, how deep would I have to go? remove teh upper intake manifold? or would I also have to remove teh spacer btween the upper and lower manifolds?
I am not recommending you replace anything yet, verify source before replacing, these 3 areas are the most common in my experience but that does not mean that this is your source of leak. Pressure test the system to trace and go from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Peter's Post: The retutn line is a black hose that elbows up into the upper manifold? That looks like the source of the leak. At least there is coolant dripping off the hose right up behing the trottle body. What part is likely to be leaking? is there a connector? gaskets? or would th eline need to be replaced. If the line needs to be replaced, dose th upper manifold have to come off to do it?
That is what I was trying to explain before, you need to pressure test the system first. Check to see if the line is actually leaking or if the connection points are corroded and causing leaks. I have seen several times where the connecting tubes will corrode and become brittle causing leaks around the hose connections not the actual hose. Put a pressure tester on the system. If you can get an inspection mirror and falshlight in the desired area this may best help you.
importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years experience