Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2001 PT Cruiser: with the non-turbo..74,000 mi...under load..idling

Customer Question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with the non-turbo 2.4 engine. 74,000 mi. It recently started skipping and stuttering while under load, especially while idling and on takeoff. It will sometimes do it at speed but not usually. The odd thing is, it will then run fine for a day or a week with no problem, then it starts skipping again. It's getting more frequent now. I've tried gas additive thinking it might have water in the tank but the results have been inconclusive.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there!Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO, THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
OK.With no check engine light it is possible there is a fuel pressure problem.You need to check the fuel pressure with a guage and make sure it is running about 40 psi.If not then you may not be getting the fuel delivered quick enough when you take off.If it is not in the speified range,it would either be a fuel pressure regulator problem or the pump itself.I believe it's all on unit on the cruisers.About the only other option is a faulty O2 sensor,but you will need a scan tool to determine it without a check engine light.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHY WOULD IT RUN FINE FOR A WHILE AND THEN START UP AGAIN? THANKS.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
If the fuel pump is weak or the regulator is bad then the pressure would be changing intermitantly,thus causeing the engine to sputter.This is why you should have the pump pressure checked.It's going to be a tough one until either you get a light or it becomes consistant.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MY CREDIT CARD HAS CHANGED #'s SINCE I LAST USED THIS SERVICE. HOW DO I CHANGE IT SO I CAN PAY YOU? SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
I have no idea on that.Must be a way on the JA front page.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you get paid? I changed my info on my credit card and it looked like it went through but I can't tell for sure.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Yes,I have been paid.Thanks for the accept!