Rob, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  GM World Class Technician, Senior Master Subaru Technician, 18 years experience

95 seville: ac compressor is shot...told there is no power going to it

Customer Question

I have a 95 seville with 180.000 miles on it. The AC compressor is shot. I might be willing to replace it if it were not having for told there is no power going to it.   Is this power problem likely to have sprung from the computor shuting it off when it recognized the AC "juice," after just being filled, had all escaped? (Wasn''t done at a dealer) What''s the smart thing to do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomerand welcome to Just Answer! If the car was low or out of freon the computer will set a code to disable the compressor so it will not come on and run dry thus damaging the compressor, guess it didn't work on this one. These cars are bad to have evaporators go bad in them and that is another big job. It pays about 10 hours labor and the part is about $200.00.

In short if you know where the leak is at and it is not going to be a huge cost, you can put a compressor on it, fix the leak and clear code and you will be nice and cool this summer.

If you have another question about this please ask.