DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic

I bought a 2001 525 D SE .

Customer Question

i bought a 2001 525 D SE . noticed at times the temp guage shifts toward the left cold side ; once it remained at 70% and then once   it went nearr to the cold '''' blue '''' mark
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA.

There is couple of possible things for this kind of issue.

First the thermostat installed it the car is the one they called fail safe, meaning when the thermostat failed they always failed open, not like the others they freeze when the valve is close, so check the thermostat, that is one thing.

Second is the temperature sending unit could at fault, which is the locatio of this is usually near the thermostat, it's like s big nut with plastic on top and a wire connector in it.

Third, the guage it self could be at faut also, but this insident only happen almost thousand to one, but then again you're is the the one, so I'm adding this info just incase, the results on the two suggested place to look at above is not the issue.