Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Charging system for a riding lawn mower

Please explain charging system for a riding lawn mower. I have a briggs engine which has a red wire ciming rom the engine , I believe it has a diode in the line does it connect to the positive side of the battery or the negative . The other wire I assume goes to the coil
I know these things can be confusing. Here it is straight from Briggs and Stratton the "Alternator Replacement Guide" This is an online PDF that Briggs keeps posted to assist those who use their engines. It is great I have used it before. You can identify your system, it also gives you comprehensive wiring diagrams. This is the BEST reference to the Briggs charging systems available.