Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2001 gmc sonoma: fuel gauge..reads..fwd and reverse..battery cable

The fuel gauge on my 2001 gmc sonoma reads empty with the low fuel light on even when the tank is full. When the key is first turned on the needle goes to full momentarely then back to empty. Tried sloshing in fwd and reverse and removed battery cable. No luck. help
You should really do a sweep test with a GM scanner to be sure the gauge is okay, but I can almost guarantee your fuel sender is bad, very common on those. Make sure before you bring it in you let the tank get close to empty as they have to remove it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
wow! I was hoping I could do the hokey pokey and turn myself around and wiggle the red wire while driving at 60mph. Thanks!Eldon.
Thanks for using JA.