Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

97 Jeep Cherokee: the hood release handle inside the vehicle broke

How do you open the hood of a 97 Jeep Cherokee if the hood release handle inside the vehicle broke completely off from the cord its attached to? Also, where can I get a replacement?
Hi there!Can you see a cable under the dash?Like a black covering with a silver cable hanging out of it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: There is a thicker type black cable coming out of the dash & I think it is going into the little black box the hood release went into but I'm not sure. I can't see the end of that cable to see if there is a silver cable hanging out of it.
OK.You may have to ubolt things from the dash to locate the cable itself.Once you get to the actual cable(not the black casing)You should be able to take a pair of pliers and pull on the cable itself to get it to release the hood.Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yeah that helps, but what about replacement? That was the other part of my question.
Sorry about that!I would try some autoparts stores first,but you are likley going to have to get it from the dealer.They make a lot of aftermarket parts these days though.I tried looking it up on for you but their site is down.Sorry