OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

1992 Porsche 968: automatic..leak under..I think is transmission fluid

I have a 1992 Porsche 968 coupe automatic. There is a leak under the car which I think is transmission fluid. It is red in colour. The auto box is also acting funny and won''t select 4th gear. This problem started yesterday. I have an apointment with a garage tomorrow morning and I need to use the car to get to work before I go there. Should I be driving the car at all!!!      
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The red fluid does sound like transmission fluid. In which case I would strongly suggest you not to drive the car. This may cause further damage and even total transmission failure. I would not risk the transmission in this case.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to OnlineMechanic's Post: Hi

When I stopped the car yesterday for about 15 minutes after I discovered the leak I then drove on home and the transmission suddenly worked OK but then started acting up this morning on the way to work. You now there is going to be a problem when the rear end of the car seems to drop slighly. Could there still be enough fluid to keep it going until tomorrow.

There very well maybe, however I don't know if it's worth risking further damage to the transmission.