Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: V8..sounds..goes away..few minutes

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8. I get what sounds like a valve tap right after startup that goes away after a few minutes. Won''t be heard again until the next startup. What could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like you have a lifter that is bleeding down as it sits and makes noise until it pumps back up and takes out the lash. Make sure you are using a MOPAR filter and change the oil with the proper weight (5W30 I think) and if that doesn't take care of it at some point you will need to replace the lifters.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX could it be the oil pump not buildnig up pressure quickly enough? How costly is lifter replacement?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
If it was taking several minutes for the oil pressure to build up, you would have more problems than a little lifter noise. Lifter replacement in the car would run $800-1000 dollars by the time you got parts and labor so a good oil change is a good first try. Many times this type of wear of wear happens when a filter is used without a drain back valve , this allows the lifters to run dry momentarily and starts wear.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: Oil pressure, according to the gauge, seems to be fine, and immediate. The ticking goes away in what I'd say is probably 3-5 minutes. My thought is that it's just taking oil a little while to get to the valves, but I can't imagine why. Just spoke to another mechanic who said that it could be "sludging", which he says these engines can do. He suggests flushing it, putting in new oil, and seeing what happens ..
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
It certainly couldn't hurt, just make sure you use good quality oil and filter. BTW, evn if it makes noise for a minute or two, as long as it is usually quiet , you really won't do any harm. It is only when the noise doesn't go away that it will damage the other valve train parts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: THAT'S comforting - the best news I could hear - that I'm not killing the thing by driving it now. Thanks so much, Ted!
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using JA!