DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic

Buick Riviera: engine blew up and the dealer loaned me

Customer Question

Back in ''96 I bought a Buick Riviera with a non-supercharged 3800 engine. The engine blew up and the dealer loaned me a supercharged Riviera. What a difference! It responded to acceleration demands almost instantly, a trait I came to really appreciate. Jump ahead to 2008. I just bought a ''99 Rivi with a supercharged 3800. It does not respond nearly as quickly, or with as much punch, as the loaner did. Are there different levels of tuning for those engines, different settings for the supercharger response, or possibly different transmission settings that would affect acceleration? Or, is there a different chip that I could install to get the kind of punch I am looking for? Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA.

The difference between the two car, with both same future and different year is the technology, the way the PCM or power control module, way back 96 is a lot of difference from today, 96 is all about power, today is all about power plus gas consumption, so basicaly the power of the 96 car to the present vehicle with the same feture has the same torque but the way they program the on board computer now a days includes less gas consumption.

Yes there is a onboard computer chips you can buy at your choise on the site below.

Have fun with your car.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DCM's Post: This is not much of an answer, or at least short of what I expected. You could have just said "yes" as I pretty much assumed everything you said. I want to know how to configure my '99 controller like the '96 was. Can a Buick dealer do it? What do I ask for?