Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Miata: 000 miles..rear brakes need new rotors + pads..squeeling

2004 MazdaSpeed Miata....42,000 told the rear brakes need new rotors + pads, costing $483.00 installed. Rear brakes are making squeeling noise. I am a woman Miata owner. Male friend said rotors should last much longer than 42,000 miles? Advise please
Hi there!There are a couple of factors involved when it comes to the rotors.Each rotor has what is called a minimum spec.The minimum spec is the thickness the rotor can be machined to and still work properly.If you have never had the rear rotors resurfaced,then they should not be at the minimum.Sometimes what happens is they get very rusted.In this case the rotors might be suggested because by the time they are done machining them they will be at or close to the discard spec.Discard is the thickness that the rotor can no longer perform it's function and needs to be replaced.Contact the people who are giving you the info and find out what their reasons are for replacements.If it is rust,take a look at them yourself if possable.I hope this helps!Please reply if needed.