JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician

2002 LS: hard shifting..1st to 2nd gear..automatic transmission

Have you heard of any problems with ther 2002 LS V8 about hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when starting out? It feels like it is the "rear end" that gets a noise when it shifts from 1st to second with the automatic transmission.
Category: Car
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 8 years ago.
There are no tech bulletins on a hard 1-2 upshift that I know of on your vehicle. You say it feels like the rear end. Do you feel it in any other gears? How about when you go from reverse to first, any clunking noises? Is there any vibration when driving? Thanks Joe
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No vibration when driving. It shifts smooth and easy from 2-3-4-OD, in fact you barely feel it at all. Do you know of any reason it would be be hard from 1-2nd? It feels like a hard bump from the rear end when it shifts from 1-2nd gear. Would you recommend I get a transmission shop to look at it first, as I do have remaining extended warranty through Lincoln-Mercury left. I am just reluctant to go to the dealer first for repairs without having more information.
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like you have a shift solenoid sticking or going bad. The solenoids are mounted on the valve body inside the transmission. You may have picked up some contaminates causing the solenoid to not function properly, this will normally set a code and your D light will flash and ck engine light may also come on. If niether is on, then the problem is probably contaminates. (the solenoid works, just not as good as normal) add some sea foam transmission additive 1/2 can run for a couple hours then service your transmission (replace filter and fluid). If your problem persist the extended warranty may be your best bet. Thanks, Joe

If you feel I have been of any help to you, please click on accept s I may be paid. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Have a great day and hope this will solve your problem. Thanks again, Joe