Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

1996 Subaru Outback: owner says that it wont come out of 4wd

I am looking at at 1996 Subaru Outback and the owner says that it won''t come out of 4wd. What are possible causes and cost to repair this?
Hi there!The 96 outback comes factory with full time AWD.It cannot be changed,that is the way the car is.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: Unfortunately, I haven't seen the car yet, but the owner says the front end is binding when turning on a hard surface. Is there a clutch set up in the AWD that can cause that?
Yes,is it an automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: Automatic
OK.It has a transfer clutch pack that likley needs to be replaced.Cost about 800.-1,200 dollars parts and labor.I will let you in on a little secret,under the hood you will find a small black cover on the passenger side.It says fwd on it.Put a ten amp fuse in it and it should unlock the transfer pack so it will drive normally.It's not good to run it that way forever,but it will buy you some time.Hope this helps!Thanks